We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Tasmania Itinerary May/June

Perth, Western...
3 posts
Save Topic
Advice on Tasmania Itinerary May/June

Would love to get feedback on my itinerary. Just some background for you all. Although my husband and I have been on many driving trips in the past, this will be our first time in Tassie and also with our daughter (who will be 6 months at the time!) We enjoy travelling on scenic routes,are food and wine lovers and we also love our history, so you can see why Tasmania is ideal:) however we are on a tight schedule and we want to experience the best of what's on offer,so here's what I've roughly planned so far:

Thurs 24/5

Arrive in Hobart late afternoon, stay overnight (don't know where yet! somewhere in Battery Point?)

Fri 24/5 to Sun 26/5

Drive to Cradle Mountain, stay for 3 nights, maybe staying at Highlanders Cabins

(any suggested things to do? also is this too long?)

Mon 27/5 and Tues 28/5

Launceston for 2 nights, dining at Stillwater, visiting Cataract Gorge and the Tamar Valley

Wed 29/5 and Thurs 30/5

Freycinet for 2 nights visiting various bays, eating various seafood and seeing St Helens and Bicheno

Fri 31/5

Richmond overnight visiting Port Arthur (is this the way to go?)

Sat 1/6 and Sun 2/6

Blackmans Bay for 2 nights (staying with friends) Doing Salamanca Markets and various events for Savour Tasmania, maybe also Cascade Brewery and Mount Wellington

Mon 3/6

Overnight maybe in Cleburne Homestead and spending the day at MONA

Tues 4/6 Depart Hobart am

Just a few questions...

-Is it worth fitting in Stanley (to do the Nut) and visiting or staying in Devonport? I can fit this in between Cradle Mountain and Lauceston by chopping off days here and there.

-Would love to stay overnight in Bruny Is. but have heard is not worth visiting from some friends which I kinda disagree, as I would love to catch the car ferry & visit some great food providores which the island does have, but how can I slot this into the itinerary effectively? I was initially going to do Bruny the day after we arrived and then drive to Cradle Mountain...

-How cold is it really during this time? Would it be thermal wearing weather? Coming from Perth, our winters are really mild so we are hoping that travelling through this period it won't be so cold like in July or August?

Please advise on any improvements that I can make on my itinerary or if there are some other great places or landmarks that I've missed! Keeping in mind that we are travelling with our baby, I would like to keep it streamlined but also ensure that we spend adequate time to enjoy the various locations.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,588 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Tasmania Itinerary May/June

It looks like a well-paced plan.

I think you could delete one day at Cradle and go to Stanley for a night.

IMO, there's little at Devonport to warrant staying there.

Richmond is worth having a look at, but I think it would be better to stay on the Tasman Peninsula to visit Port Arthur.

It's cold and sometimes wet in winter. I'd wear warm clothes - and especially have a wind and waterproof coat to protect you.

Proper heating in your accommodation is important. Make sure it's in the description of facilities.

Luigi

Perth, Western...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Tasmania Itinerary May/June

Hi Luigi,

Thanks for your reply. I was eagerly awaiting it!!

What are your thoughts on fitting in Bruny Is?

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,791 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Tasmania Itinerary May/June

Hi Alexandra, adding very little to Luigis comments, I agree with cutting Cradle back to two nights, TBH with a 6 month old and the time of the year, maybe even 1 night is enough. I assume you're driving up the Midlands to Cradle from Hobart, this is around a 5+ hour trip, which can be broken up by visiting the great little towns along the Heritage Highway (Midland Highway) - http://www.heritagehighwaytasmania.com.au/

I would use your extra nights (if you cut Cradle Mt back to 1 night) to explore the Stanley area and Bruny Island. For the life of me I don't understand how some people say don't go to Bruny Island, IMO it's well worth the trip even for 1 day, stay the night have a look around, get some fantastic goodies, and have a quiet night in.

I agree if your visiting Tasman Peninsula, stay there, and visit Richmond on the way through to Hobart.

It should be cold especially in the mornings, and May can be an icy time and possibly snow, so be careful driving, and remember your days are shorter and don't drive when it's dark.

Take your time and have fun, it's a great island to explore. Keep your eyes out along your travels as there are many hidden little gems to visit.

Safe travels - Robert

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,588 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on Tasmania Itinerary May/June

I think the only place you could fit Bruny in is by going there for a day while you are at Blackman's Bay. It's pretty close.

IMO, it's worth visiting Bruny, but I don't know what your commitments are at Blackman's Bay.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on Tasmania Itinerary May/June

Hi Alexandra.

This is just a general comment, in case you are on Facebook.

There are some fabulous detailed and flexible itineraries on Facebook now, accessible if you join the "Tassie Comeback Tour" page.

In response to your own messages, I would definitely urge you to go to Stanley, not just for the Nut, but for the whole north-west experience. If it were me advising friends, I would say knock back the time at Cradle Mountain and while you are in the far north-west go to Woolnorth and/or do the wonderful cruise on the Arthur River.

I would actually encourage you to stick to your original plan breaking the drive from Bicheno to Port Arthur with an overnight at Richmond or Sorell.

But if the skies are clear I would make a trip up Mt Wellington a top priority - maybe on Sat after you visit the Salamanca Market. It is an astounding view and you would be able to borrow suitable clothing from your hosts, hopefully.

Have a wonderful time. It seems you have spent a long time planning your visit.

Perth, Western...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on Tasmania Itinerary May/June

HI Rob,

Will take your advice and reduce our stay at Cradle Mountain to 1 night and split the saved nights between Bruny Is. and Stanley. Also thank you for referring me to the Heritage Highway website. Will definitley check it out :)

Luigi, yes it makes sense to travel to Bruny Is while we're at Blackmans Bay so we will spend Friday there and then stay the weekend with our friends in BB.

Cecilia, thanks for your message. Will check out the Tassie Comeback Tour on FB. Would love to stay in Richmond but may not be able to fit this in :( Can't wait to check out the awesome view from Mt Wellington. I've heard its pretty windy up there !!!

Thanks everyone for your valuable feedback!! Can't wait for Tassie!!

7. Re: Advice on Tasmania Itinerary May/June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 23, 2014