We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap Car Rental

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap Car Rental

Hi there all!

We are coming to Tasmania for 7 days in the beginning of April.

We have flights to Launceston and flying back from Hobart. The idea is to rent a car and drive to Hobart in 7 days.

I have no idea yet what to see, where to go etc. But hopefully i will find out some good route using this forum and finding out the spots not to miss.

We are interested in hiking, fishing, winery, unique landscapes, tasmanian wildlife, local markets just to name few ;-) . I have heard that there is a really good market on Saturdays in Hobart. We are planning to go there at the end of the trip.

It would be great to hear some of you who have been in Tasmania for a holiday the absolute gem moments/places that you think was the higlight of your trips.

AND most importantly is there a possibility to rent a car for cheap (for i think 5 days is enougg because we stay in Hobart for last 2 nights) that wont let you down in the middle of nowhere? I mean reliable one. Or is it possible to do these kind of car removals like in Autsralias mainland. That you have (1-5 days) time to move the car from a city to another really cheap? Sorry i dont know if i can explain myself clearly english isn't my first language. Hope you get what i mean.

Thanks alot! :-)

Oz
Level Contributor
13,119 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap Car Rental

Hi,

The attached links will get you started until Luigi and Rob chime in.

For me the two must see/visit and experience places in Tassy are Cradle Mountain and Port Arthur/Tasman Peninsula.

From personal experience I can recommend Apple Isle car rental. We hired an older Porche Carrea Cabriolet for a rediculously low day rate (compared to mainland prices) and had a ball. Off the main Hwys Tasmania has real drivers roads. Not quite like the old Thousand Lakes course in your homeland but

close :-)

tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255096-c119432/Ta…

tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255096-c119432/Ta…

Cheers,

Edited: 10:03 pm, March 17, 2013
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,800 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap Car Rental

I don't think you'll find any relocation deals. There are only two main airports where people pick up and rent cars and the rental companies seem to manage their own stock locations quite comfortably.

The main local rental companies are listed on this page: tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255096-s304/Tasma…

There are other cheaper companies which you could find by googling "cheap car rental tasmania", but there are no magical bargains to be had. You get what you pay for in the car rental business, IMO.

A good place to start gathering information for your trip is the Top Questions on the right of this page - and also the Hobart and Launceston forum pages.

Hope this helps get you started,

Luigi

3. Re: Cheap Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 19, 2014