We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - 8 days in Tasmania in March 2013

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - 8 days in Tasmania in March 2013

Arrived back yesterday from our trip to Tassie. Itinerary changed a bit from the original plan (see initial forum post link below) to spend more time in places and less time driving.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255096-i887-k5…

Sorry it's so long but I found it hard to be brief!

LAUNCESTON - CRADLE MOUNTAIN - BICHENO - FREYCINET - PORT ARTHUR - HOBART

Day 1

Arrived at Launceston Airport and collected hire car. Visited Cataract Gorge. Walked across suspension bridge and took chair lift back. Good views.

Day 2

Stopped at Marakoopa Caves near Mole Creek. Did the Underground Rivers & Gloworms tour, very impressive cave formations.

Very windy road from there to Cradle Mtn, numerous hairpin bends at very slow speeds. Scenic route though with some lookout points for photographs.

Parked car at Cradle Mtn visitor centre and caught the shuttle to Dove Lake. Good decision as this road was also very narrow and winding. Did a couple of short walks to the Boathouse and Glacier Rock. Soaked up the stunning views with the area bathed in sunshine. Timed our return perfectly as it started pouring with rain on the way back, almost out of nowhere. Tough driving for about 15 mins in pouring rain before it cleared.

Went via Sheffield on our way back to see the murals. Also stopped for coffee and cake as we missed lunch! Saw some steam operated machines, apparently in action as part of Steamfest. Hoped to get a good photo of Mt Roland but the weather had become a bit gloomy.

Day 3

Headed south, stopping at Evandale to view the heritage buildings. Lunch at Ross Bakery Inn with "the world's best vanilla slice". Wouldn't disagree! Photographed the famous bridge from various angles and strolled the tree-lined main street. Cute town.

Then headed east to the coast. Road more windy than expected.

Checked into motel at Bicheno. Strolled around the orange lichen-covered rocks at the nearby beach. Amazing sight. Saw The Blowhole in action. Had fun trying to capture it on camera.

Walked to the beach at sunset. Rugged and blustery but alas no penguins.

Day 4

Coles Bay and Freycinet National Park. Did the walk to Wineglass Bay Lookout. Challenging but well rewarded with stunning views. Really pleased with ourselves for making the effort and getting to the top. Must get fitter! Thank goodness for the shaded parts along the way. Appreciated the various views along the way which kept us going.

Also went to Honeymoon Bay, Sleepy Bay and Cape Tourville. Honeymoon Bay was easy, just a few steps from the car, a relief having just done a big walk. Sleepy Bay involved a bit of walking on uneven surfaces. Stunning turquoise water. Then a nice easy boardwalk at Cape Tourville to finish off. Knackered by then!

Day 5

Headed south this morning, enjoying the lovely coastal views along the way. Stopped briefly at Spiky Bridge, built by convicts.

Drove through Dunalley, very sad to see ruins of houses destroyed by the recent bushfires. Such a pretty area too.

Arrived at Port Arthur about 1pm. Stayed at Port Arthur Villas which turned out to be very handy as we were given a special key that allowed entrance to the Historic Site through the back gate! Nice to leave the car behind for a change. Did the guided walking tour and habour cruise before exploring individual buildings. Was quite interesting but we felt by the end of the day we'd seen enough, even though our tickets allowed entry for two days. Appreciated being able to walk back to the motel. Noticeably quieter at the site after 5pm once all the day trippers had gone.

Day 6

Woke to the sound of cows mooing. Felt very rural!

This morning we did the Tasman Island Cruise. I was very anxious about how I would cope with the waves. Was relieved we hadn't gone the previous day when they had 7m swells! Today was only 1m at times. There was a period of about 10 mins when I wondered how I'd cope as the boat was bouncing around in the waves of the Southern Ocean but after that it got better and I could enjoy it. Highlights included fur seals, numerous birds and spectacular rugged scenery as well as a bonus encounter with a pod of dolphins who seemed to love swimming with our boat.

Picked up the car and headed towards Eaglehawk Neck to view Tasman Arch, Devil's Kitchen, The Blowhole and the Tessellated Pavement.

Arrived in Hobart late afternoon, having decided to visit Richmond another day when we have more time. Hotel is right in the centre. Bit of a shock to have cars whizzing by after waking to the cows this morning!

Went for a walk by the waterfront and had dinner at Fish Frenzy. Very tasty fish & chips and well priced. Admired some of the impressive architecture on the walk back.

Day 7

Drove to the top of Mt Wellington to see the wonderful views of Hobart and surrounds. Didn't realise how freezing cold and windy it would be (should have given it more thought!) but luckily we had jumpers in the car. Wind was still biting cold though.

Then did a tour at the Cascades Female Factory (former prison for female convicts). Most of the structures were destroyed by fires but the knowledge and passion of the volunteer guide made it a very interesting tour.

Spent the afternoon wandering around the city photographing impressive buildings and walked up to the historic houses at Battery Point. Brought back memories of strolling through Hampstead - had that same "villagey" feel. Then went to the Tasmanian Museum & Art Gallery. Was good timing as it had apparently just reopened today after more than four months of renovations. Lasted a bit more than an hour until my feet were begging for a rest.

Day 8

Strolled round Salamanca Markets and wished we hadn't already eaten breakfast. So many yummy smelling foods.

Went to Richmond to see the lovely bridge and look around the town. Enjoyed the small, but completely intact, Old Richmond Gaol. Have learnt a lot about convict history the past few days! Enjoyed lunch at the bakery. Set off to St John's Catholic Church, apparently the oldest Catholic church in Australia. Ended up having to make a quick dash from the car as the weather came in and it was pouring with rain.

Time to go home.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,976 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - 8 days in Tasmania in March 2013

There's some very topical information there, Bronners. You must have finished your trip yesterday!

Thanks for the detailed report. :)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - 8 days in Tasmania in March 2013

Yep, got back last night. Kept a little trip diary while we were away so it was fairly easy to post a review when we returned. Also wanted to thank people once again for the feedback I received on my initial itinerary as well as other forum posts I've read. Helped the planning enormously and we had a great trip.

I hope to get round to reviewing some of the places we stayed in and ate at.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,483 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - 8 days in Tasmania in March 2013

H bronners, sounds like you had a great trip, great report and very detailed, hope you come back some time :o)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - 8 days in Tasmania in March 2013

Already planning to come back. Spent a good while in the visitor info centre in Hobart collecting brochures for a future trip :)

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,173 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - 8 days in Tasmania in March 2013

Sounds like a wonderful trip. Thank you for the great detailed trip report.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,173 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - 8 days in Tasmania in March 2013

Sounds like a wonderful trip. Thank you for the great detailed trip report.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,216 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - 8 days in Tasmania in March 2013

Great report, thanks for taking the time.

"The world's best vanilla slice", now I HAVE to go back.

I'm glad the cruise went well, I'd love to do that but I'd be anxious about the waves too.

Kyogle, Australia
Level Contributor
600 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - 8 days in Tasmania in March 2013

Your report brings back many memories of our previous trips to the great island. Glad you stopped at the Spikey bridge. Don't think many people are aware of this. Glad you also have mentioned the windy roads, as that is the one thing non-locals just don't understand, when trying to work out how long it will take to get from A-B. Tassie just isn't straight roads, and there is something different around every corner to view. Image being at the top of Mt Wellington after some snow-very coool with icy cold chill factor winds. Been there done that, with many layers on, but worth it as the views were so clear.

Great report, and thanks for sharing.

cheers

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
966 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - 8 days in Tasmania in March 2013

Nice report thanks.

10. Re: Trip Report - 8 days in Tasmania in March 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 20, 2014