We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10/9n hobart-to-hobart... looking for some itinerary help.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
10/9n hobart-to-hobart... looking for some itinerary help.

Hi,

We are 2 adults travelling with our two small children (2yrs, 4yrs). We fly in and out of Hobart in early february with 9 full days to see some of Tasmania. I have a hire car organised and our list of must-see's is pretty much set.

Salamanca Markets, Mt Wellington, Port Arthur, Bruny Island, Richmond, Cradle Mountain... we are open to other suggestions.

As far as must-do's I would love to do the Gordon River Cruise if recommended. Hubby wants to go trout fishing however this is turning out to be prohibitively expensive if booking a guide - any suggestions? Can you fish on your own somewhere? I would like to take the kids to see some animals (devils ideally). Our youngest at 2yrs is not great at walking great distances (needs picking up) so we are limited in some sights that require a moderate hike. Hubby is a chef and we both enjoy trying fresh, local produce.

We fly into Hobart on a wednesday evening and leave the next friday. I was thinking about staying out of Hobart for Thursday/Friday night and coming back for the markets... what do you suggest? It is a shame we have to backtrack to be able to see the markets.

Thanks in advance. I look forward to reading your replies.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10/9n hobart-to-hobart... looking for some itinerary help.

I forgot to add in that we are looking at doing a farmstay in Cygnet and I would love to see penguins. This trip for us is more a relaxing family holiday than trying to cram in full days. With the kids we will need to stop every hour or so to get out of the car and do something.

Thanks again

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,322 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10/9n hobart-to-hobart... looking for some itinerary help.

The fishing season runs from August to May. You need a licence, which you can get at any tackle shop and at Tourist Info Centres. There's a bit of information on fly-fishing here: tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255096-c124329/Ta…

This page has a long list of fine and rare food venues: tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255096-c139513/Ta…

You would really need to devote a few days to the Gordon River cruise - one to drive to Strahan and another to do the cruise, but you could continue in a circle to Cradle Mountain from there.

You'd probably need to do that at the end of your stay after Salamanca, so I'd focus on Hobart and environs for the first part.

Best place for devils near Hobart is Bonorong Wildlife Park.

Probably the most convenient place for you to see penguins would be The Neck at Bruny Island if you're staying at Cygnet. More info here: tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g255096-c140322/Ta…

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10/9n hobart-to-hobart... looking for some itinerary help.

Thanks Luigi. I have read your top 10 and realise we wont be able to do everything and that is ok. We want to get a really nice feel for Tasmania and see a few great things.

Would you recommend staying in Hobart itself for the few days we are basing there and travelling or somewhere close by?

Thanks

Sharna

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,322 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10/9n hobart-to-hobart... looking for some itinerary help.

Best to stay in Hobart within walking distance of Salamanca, I think. There are some budget places out in the suburbs, but that requires you to deal with parking a car in the city then to see the sights.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10/9n hobart-to-hobart... looking for some itinerary help.

Luigi... if you are there I need some quick last minute advice.

I have left alot to the last minute, unintentionally as QLD was without internet and phone for a couple of days and I couldnt access or book anything.

I have the car sorted, first night in Hobart sorted.

What I am looking at is the weather. I am trying to play our trip to Cradle Mountain to avoid the rain. From what I can gather it is going to rain this weekend and possibly early next week. I am thinking of heading to Bicheno first after leaving Hobart on Saturday and then up to Launceston and back around to do Cradle mountain on M/T. Or we can scoot up to Cradle mountain saturday/sunday and come back around the otherway. Does it matter? Will it be torrential or just a drizzle? I am from FNQ and rain usually means a change of plans is in order.

D1 Hobart

D2 Farmstay in Hobart surrounds

Will do day trips from here. Mt Wellington, Port Arthur, Bonorong and possibly the Tasman Island Cruise.

D3 Farmstay (or somewhere closer to Richmond/Port Arthur)

D4 Salamanca Markets and then drive to Bicheno/Freycinet. Stop at Richmond, Oatlands, Ross.

D5 Drive to Launceston

D6 Drive to Cradle Mountain

D7 Cradle Mountain? (do we need two night here?)

D8 Farm stay somewhere quiet (i have a few bookmarked) - if we dont do two nights at Cradle Mountain we would do two here instead.

D9 Hobart as our flight the next day is early.

I appreciate your help.

If anyone else is online and can make suggestions I would love that also. We leave tomorrow and I cant believe it has come around so quickly.

Sharna

Edited: 12:28 am, January 29, 2013
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10/9n hobart-to-hobart... looking for some itinerary help.

Oh and 2 more things :)

Perhaps Rob can help with this.

Could a fairly active 2.5yr old make it around the Dove Lake walk? I appreciate we would likely have to carry him some of the way but are willing to consider it.

Secondly... would you advise taking the same 2.5yr old, and a 4.5 yr old on the Tasman Island Eco Cruise? I only ask as it sounds amazing and there is a group buying deal on at the moment that makes it really good value. I am completely open to advice against it though as I am not sure how we would cope if the weather was rough. Their website doesnt seem to advise regarding kids except to state if they are under 4 they are free.

Thanks again.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,322 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10/9n hobart-to-hobart... looking for some itinerary help.

My reading of the weather map says that there will be a little bit of rain on Wednesday/Thursday, then maybe again (less) on Saturday. But mostly we're under the influence of big highs in the Bight and that means good weather. And next week looks good to me. February is always Tasmania's best month and rain doesn't last long anyway. We don't get torrential Queensland weather down here and anything would be better than Qld at the mo.. :)

The east coast is always fine, so it doesn't matter when you go there. I'd try to go to Cradle next week if that fits.

I think a 2.5yo will need to be carried much of the way around Dove Lake. A 4.5yo should cope. It's mostly flat - especially if you do it anti-clockwise and get the steps out of the way early. :)

And I think they're old enough for the fast boat trip - or you're sufficiently used to them to ignore their wailing. :))

I think one night in Cradle would suffice.

Where are you looking at for farmstays?

Edited: 1:12 am, January 29, 2013
8. Re: 10/9n hobart-to-hobart... looking for some itinerary help.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 31, 2014