We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tas weather atm

QLD
Level Contributor
145 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tas weather atm

Hi all!

We are leaving for our trip all over tas next week and was wondering what sort of things to pack? I know it can get real hot in jan but also quite cool depending on where we are and just what the weather is doing that day. I'm planning on packing stuff to be able to layer if needed but just wanted to check whether I wi need to take jackets and real cooler weather stuff? Just trying not to take everything with us!

Cheers in advance :)

1. Re: Tas weather atm

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:19 am, May 17, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,600 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tas weather atm

Tasmanias weather is always a surprise ... be prepared for anything, especially if heading for the west coast. Just pop a jacket in your case to be sure. This is from last January ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDh5SztGz6Y but probably extremely rare.

Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tas weather atm

Hi, I am currently in TAS, the weather has been warm in Launceston (central north) during the day (shorts & tshirt) but is cool in the evening and would need a jumper & trousers. It has been extremely windy in the east coast this week & quite cool. Bring enough clothes for varying weather as our weather changes quickly & often. Good luck & hope you enjoy your stay in Tassie.

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tas weather atm

Weel I'd say this weeks forecast is typical Tasmanian summer weather.....the next 7 days in Hobart are forecast as follows: 24, 19, 19, 30, 33, 26, 27! So it can be cool or hot, nighttime temps are forecast between 10 and 19 for the next week but like others ave said, keep an eye on it as the forecast changes as the days go by ....if you have a smartphone or iPad, I use the Ozweather HD app as it seems to get its info from the bureau of meteorology and is much mor e accurate than the Weather Channel app.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,195 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tas weather atm

IMO and experience NO weather forecaster can predict Tassie weather more than 4 days out. On the central plateau, Cradle Mountain to the south always gets a dumping of snow every summer. At my place Sunday morning it was 5c and the max was 20c, but later this week we’re expecting high 20’s, also Tassie is a somewhat windy place as already mentioned, which exacerbates the temp feel. So the simple answer IMO is layer to expect from hot to quite cold (not to easy packing for Tassie) think of it like a Queensland winter day, and always put in a wet weather layer. Unless you have the BOM app on your phone or laptop (if bringing it) I would recommend you watch the weather reports on the telly during your trip.

Have fun, safe travel - Robert

6. Re: Tas weather atm

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12:19 am, May 17, 2013
Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,195 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tas weather atm

Hi hobarthost, I was being the ever sad optimist, sometimes the BOM gets close :o)

When we have family and friends visiting and they want to see the snow, I always crosscheck the MSLP’s (Synoptics) between the BOM and Ski.com (data from COLA, US). They have different models for forecasting, and I look at both, take the average, and that usually does me for 4 days out, I must be a frustrated meteorologist.

http://ski.com.au/weather/cola/index.html

QLD
Level Contributor
145 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tas weather atm

Thank you everyone for your responses! I would be SO excited to see snow, being from sunny Queensland and all, but won't hold my breath! Think ill take a bigger case and chuck everything in!

Cheers again :)

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tas weather atm

Totally agree its Rob about not being accurate too far ahead, they have larry changed Thursday Friday to 30 & 35 respectively from the 30,33 this morning forecast!

QLD
Level Contributor
145 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tas weather atm

Holy smokes its hot down there today - hotter than in Brisbane!! Hope you are all keeping nice and cool :)