We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Coverage

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental Coverage

Hi, a few days ago I made a question about car rental.

However, I hold a Visa, which I intend to use to pay the rental. Today I phoned Visa and asked I have any benefit in the case of a car rental. Luckily, I’ve been informed that I would be covered (for the insurance), but that I would need to decline the CDW or LDW.

Now, I see that Europcar (for example) actually offers CDW and other kind of optional coverage. On the other hand, Budget only offers me (at least on Internet the Excess Reduction).

So, I would like to ask you: if I rent the car and use the coverage granted by Visa, it is ok? Or do I need to take any additional coverage?

Regards,

Leandro

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,785 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Coverage

Legally, a contract between you and Visa is not a contract between you and the rental company. So if you have an accident or damage the car, the rental company will take money from you (through your credit card) and you would then have to claim it back from the credit card company.

Despite keeping a close watch on these forums and asking about it here, I have never seen anyone report having had an accident and then having claimed through their credit card company. If this happens to you we'd love to hear about it. :)

CDW relates to damage to your rented vehicle and is an aspect of Excess Reduction by another name. Google "CDW" for a longer explanation.

It is complete nonsense for anyone to suggest that because you are using a Visa card, you MUST decline CDW, LDW, Excess Reduction or anything else. That's up to you. Only you can decide whether to pay the excess reduction insurance or not. Personally, I choose to pay it.

More info here: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c119403/Austr…

Luigi

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,220 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental Coverage

It is possible that the Visa person was trying to say that you cannot take out full damage insurance with the rental company and then also try to lodge a claim with Visa.

In any case, Australians cannot know what T&C are offered by Visa (or Visa's insurance company) in Argentina.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
60 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental Coverage

From what I understand in Canada - you have to decline the CDW / LDW on the car rental contract form, and if there is no decline box to check then you have to write "declined CDW/LDW " clearly on the form. Otherwise the VISA insurance is invalid.

However, we are going to Australia in February and I am still unclear whether or not the Visa insurance will pay the excess amount. The excess issue does not exit in North America Any help on that matter from other NA's renting in Australia. Thanks

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,785 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental Coverage

Perhaps you should direct your question to Visa.

5. Re: Car Rental Coverage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 9:52 pm, May 11, 2013
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental Coverage

Thank you very much.

7. Re: Car Rental Coverage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 09, 2014