We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help - 21 day trip

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary help - 21 day trip

We are touring Tasmania in January this year and have a tentative itinerary that we would appreciate help with. Our plan is to set up bases and do day hikes. We like to stay in quaint hotels/b&b or cottages. Since we are 2 couples we hope to find 2 bedroom cottages as much as possible. Please advise on the following:

Day 1 arrive launceston. - stay 3 nights

2 nights Wynyard or somewhere in the northwest

3 nights Cradle Mountain

2 nights Strahan

3 nights Hobart

2 nights Tasman National Park ? Where to stay

2 nights Freycinet National Park - again where to stay

2 nights Bay of Fires ? Stay

1 night Launceston

Flight home

Thanks so much for your help,

Jane

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,627 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help - 21 day trip

I think that's a very good plan.

It won't be easy finding accommodation - especially multi-room places on the east coast - in January as it's the holiday season, but these websites will help.

Stayz has been the main holiday rental website for some time: http://www.stayz.com.au/accommodation/tas

Wotif has recently branched out into the holiday rental market as well: www.wotif.com/holiday-rentals/australia/tas…

And then there's TripAdvisor's own Holiday rentals pages: tripadvisor.com.au/VacationRentals-g255096-R…

Hope this helps,

Luigi

Edited: 2:11 pm, November 26, 2012
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help - 21 day trip

Thanks so much for replying. Would you stay in Penguin or Wynyard?

also any suggestions for the Bay for Fires?

Thanks

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,627 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary help - 21 day trip

I think Penguin is a prettier town and there are some good eating options there.

The Bay of Fires is a beach rather than a town.

Up north near the Mount William National Park there is a lodge, but it takes half a day to get there and it's frightfully expensive. The nearest small town is Binalong Bay and there's plenty of holiday rentals there, but no food. The nearest good-sized town is St Helens, where accommodation options are not spectacular, but there's plenty of food choices.

Take a look at rentals on the road from St Helens to Binalong Bay: happy compromise. :) Stayz definitely has places in that area.

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary help - 21 day trip

For the Tasman Peninsula, look at a site like wotif.com or stays.com under Port Arthur they list most of the accommodation places for the whole Tasman Peninsula in one place which is helpful. The good day walks are spread around thepeninsula so it doesn't really matter where you stay. There is a lovely loop road around through Nubeena and there are places to stay in all the little villages enroute.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary help - 21 day trip

Hi Jane - I hope you had a great trip to Tasmania in January, I was really interested to read your post as I am planning a 21 day road trip around Tasmania next year and I would love to know how you got on and if you have any recommendations.

I know the Ozzie dollar is pretty strong at the moment against sterling so wondered how you found the place value for money wise. Any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Jo

6. Re: Itinerary help - 21 day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 04, 2014