We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tassie in March 2013

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tassie in March 2013

We have finally booked (my wife & I) to fly to Tasmania and drive around for 9 days. We would like recommendations on the best way to see the island by car. We have booked into Hobart for the first three nights (changeable), then will drive around for the remainder of the trip.

My current plan is:

Day 1. Fly into Hobart - pick up car - drive to Port Arthur and back to Hobart.

Day 2: Hobart city and surrounds.

Day 3: Hobart - Southport to see Hastings caves, Waratah lookout and back to Hobart.

Day 4: Gordon Dam, Junee Cave, Russell Falls - on to Queenstown?

Day 5: Tullah, Cradle Mountain on to Burnie.

Day 6: Stanley, West Point back to Burnie.

Day 7: Burnie - Devonport - Launceston - Alum Cliffs - Marakoopna Cave, Montana Falls

Day 8: Launceston - St helens. Cuckoo Falls.

Day 9: St Helens - Hobart Airport by 4pm.

I'm happy for any suggestions and to change things around. Also happy for any suggestions of things to see.

Tony.

Cradle Mountain
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Mountains, Forests, Waterfalls
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,529 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tassie in March 2013

That's not a bad plan, Tonez.

Take a look at the Top Questions on the right hand side of this page - especially the one titled "Touring by Car". I has a big circle route which is basically the reverse of the one you're following and it will be helpful.

Also take a look at the Top 10 Must Sees list.

I think you have managed to find some obscure, lesser-visited spots along the way, but there are also many other worthy places. For example, on the trip from Hobart to Queenstown, the "Wall in the Wilderness" is a must see.

Luigi

Mollymook, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tassie in March 2013

Just found yr trip, having been in tourism in Tassie for years, I' d definitely advise yr day 4 is impossible from a time/distance/what to see perspective - just way too much to do any justice. If you'd like to see these areas then don't try and drive around the state, just do the southern region, come back to do the north or vice'verka.

Drive travel is just wonderful in Tassie, lack of cars, a picture or painting around every corner!! Roads are often narrow, lots of corners and I' d recommend a max of 250 Kim's per day there is just so much found in a short distance.

The major attractions you have indicated in the Mount Field area are special, the walk to Russell Falls 40 mins return wonderful. Gordon Dam stunning although low water levels can be a little off putting. Lake St Clair is beautiful, Greg Duncan's Wall in the Wilderness(as mentioned) special, Nelson Falls on way to Queenstown a must. Down south Cockle Creek is lovely, as you said Hastings caves beaut.

Good luck planning, my best advice take your time, see quality not quantity and you will enjoy your time.

Tasmania, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tassie in March 2013

Hi Tony

Day 2 ...suggest you do Louisa's walk...brilliant!

I suggest you visit Tahune Airwalk as well, if you have the time!!

Otherwise your trip sounds splendid and jammed packed...great distances you are travelling (alot of time in car) i hope you have a great time, the weather is great that time of the year...

Enjoy

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tassie in March 2013

Thanks all for your input.

I agree with Dennis, I'm the first to admit don't drive too much and miss everything there is to experience. Thanks for that and I'll take your advice, I'll just do Hobart and surrounds and the east coast on this trip, and maybe fly into Launceston and do Cradle Mountain/West coast on my next visit.

One Question, is trying to do Port Arthur on day one too much? Would most likely leave the airport about 10am, go to PA, and ideally would like to be back in Hobart by about 6pm.

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tassie in March 2013

If you just want to visit the port Arthur historic site and return to Hobart, you'd just about do it in the time. You'd have about 5 hours there to do it but you'd miss all the sites around the peninsula and only have half a day for the historic site. (It's enough to see the basics there but not enough to see everything) There is a lovely loop road to drive round the peninsula and great coastal scenery around Remarkable Cave as well as the Blowhole, Tasman's Arch and the Devil's Kitchen at Eaglehawk Neck. You could stay overnight there and enjoy it at a slower pace.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tassie in March 2013

Thanks Jill M, I'll take that into account.

Does anyone know of nice place to stay in or near St Helens?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,529 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tassie in March 2013

Nice: http://www.bedinthetreetops.com.au/

http://www.villavista.com.au/

Cheap: Queechy or Anchor Wheel motels.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Tassie in March 2013

Thanks Luigi. Anchor Wheel looks really good and in my price range!

Now I hate to ask, but my wife would like to know is there anywhere to go picking apples? Or is it finished by this time of year? Within the Hobart surrounds or east coast?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,529 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tassie in March 2013

March is the middle of the apple season. Late varieties (Granny Smith, Pink Lady) are still being picked until May and June.

However, most farms don't want amateurs picking, so you need to find a suitable pick-your-own place. Sorell Fruit Farm is good and fits the bill for location: http://www.sorellfruitfarm.com/

You may also find others if you venture into the Huon Valley.

10. Re: Tassie in March 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, December 17, 2013