We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North West Trip April 2013 Recommendations required

Australia
Level Contributor
155 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
North West Trip April 2013 Recommendations required

We have been to Tassie 3 times and seen the East Coast , 2 main cities, Port Arthur and places inbetween. We are coming back in mid April next year for 6 nights/7 days to look around the north west. We plan to get in about 1pm and wont have much daylight so thinking of either staying Red Feather Inn Hadspen with a drive up to see Beaconsfield and Georgetown, or night at Cradle Mt. Next day plan to drive over to Strahan where we have 3 nights, thinking of staying at Waterwheel apartments, although wondering what the cheaper options are like? Prefer self catering but doesnt have to be. We plan on taking the Lady Franklin cruise (premiere deck) one day and the wilderness rail (premiere carriage) the other. Then up to Smithton for the final two nights , looking at a spa cottage overlooking the bay, have a quiet look around up there and then final day drive back for a late flight out of Launceston. Does this sound doable? Any suggestions for accommodation or dinners? Any 'must-sees'? Is it worth staying at Cradle Mt as it would be close to dark when we arrive, and would it be feasible to stop there for lunch enroute to Strahan instead?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,806 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North West Trip April 2013 Recommendations required

I really wouldn't recommend driving to Cradle Mountain in darkness. The last hour of the drive is really a "daylight only" road.

It would be possible to go via Cradle to Strahan the next day, but it would add a little time to the drive. The quickest way is via the A1 all the way to Burnie, then south through Ridgeley to the Murchison Highway (past the junction of the road that comes out of Cradle) and on to Zeehan, then to Strahan.

This route is about 4 hours, and it could be half to one hour longer via Cradle.

If you google "self-catering accommodation Strahan" I think you'll find some useful options. It's a pretty competitive market once you get away from the expensive Strahan Village accommodation around the docks.

I've listed a few things to do around Strahan here: tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g504331-c124543/St…

I'd spend a bit of time in Stanley rather than Smithton, I think. This website is good for ideas: http://www.tasmaniasnorthwest.com.au/ The Tarkine Wilderness is not to be missed.

RisBY Cove is good for a feed in Strahan.

Hope this helps,

Luigi

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,899 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North West Trip April 2013 Recommendations required

Hi bronnykay,

As Luigi states it is possible to drive to Strahan, albeit a 4 hour drive. Or you could do the following, which in IMO would be a little more relaxed and you will see and do more, about a 2.5 hour drive to Stanley.

Stanley – stay the night

Stanley – stay the night

Strahan – stay the night

Strahan – stay the night

Cradle Mt – stay the night

Launceston – Stay the night

Fly home late evening

I agree Stanley would be my option over Smithton to stay.

Also IMO 2 nights are enough for Strahan, if you book a cruise for the morning, your arrival back to the docks at 3pm will give you enough time to drive to Cradle Mountain, and yes cradle Mt is well worth the effort.

Now for the BUT, depending on when you arrive and depart you could be dead bang in the middle of Targa Tasmania, and the north and northwest are their favourite playgrounds. Looking at their race times, I reckon you could get delays. Targa get many roads closed during the event.

So if I were you I would plan my travels around this race or maybe even change your flights if possible, because it could affect you arrival and departure time at your places of stay. Some roads are closed for many hours; check out their details at the link below.

targa.com.au/tc/page_full.asp?asset_id=1637

Event dates:

Targa Tasmania 2013 16 April - 21 April

Documentation and Scrutiny | Sunday 14th and Monday 15th April

Welcome Party | Monday 15th April in Launceston

Prologue | Tuesday 16th April (Overnight in Launceston)

Day 1 | Wednesday 17th April (Overnight in Launceston)

Day 2 | Thursday 18th April (Overnight in Launceston)

Day 3 | Friday 19th April (Overnight in Strahan)

Day 4 | Saturday 20th April (Overnight in Strahan)

Day 5 | Sunday 21st April (Overnight in Hobart)

Have a look at the dates and times, see if they affect you, and work from there. What are your arrival and departure dates if booked, we might be able to help you with travel times if you can't change dates.

Safe travels - Robert

Edited: 3:18 pm, November 13, 2012
3. Re: North West Trip April 2013 Recommendations required

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:42 am, May 19, 2013
4. Re: North West Trip April 2013 Recommendations required

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:42 am, May 19, 2013
Australia
Level Contributor
155 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North West Trip April 2013 Recommendations required

Thanks for all your ideas and suggestions. We think we have it worked out now. We will have a day at cradle mountain and as I have limited ability to walk very far, we are thinking of the helicopter flight. Has anyone done it and do you think this is a good way to see the scenery.?

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,899 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North West Trip April 2013 Recommendations required

H bronnkay,

I haven’t been on the helicopter ride, but I work with someone who has and in their words, “it was one of the most incredible things we have done”, and she put it up with the flight they did over the southwest of Tassie. That’s a big statement, because they just raved about that flight, so go for it.

Also the Dove lake walk is reasonably easy if you head clockwise, and behind Cradle Lodge there’s and absolutely lovely flat 20 minute walk, called The Enchanted Walk.

If the skies are clear you will be thrilled by the flight, the views from the walks are out of this world.

Enjoy Robert

Australia
Level Contributor
155 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North West Trip April 2013 Recommendations required

Great Thanks Robert, If it's flat and not too far I will be fine.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,899 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North West Trip April 2013 Recommendations required

Hi bronnkay, if you go clockwise on the Dove Lake walk, the first section is on a good gravel section to Glacier Rock and just past, from then on it's predominately boardwalk, with ocassional steps. Walk as far as you feel able, and return, at a reasonable pace it will take around 2 hours to do the whole circuit. On the western side of the lake the track has a more diversified scenery, but has steeper climbs.

The Enchanted Walk is made for adults and kids, and is very flat, the only place where there are stairs is from Cradle Lodge entry point down to the beginning of the walk, also only a few steps, it's very pretty walk which follows the river.

Cheers Robert

Edited: 7:55 pm, November 20, 2012
9. Re: North West Trip April 2013 Recommendations required

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 am, December 16, 2013