We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hertz car rental

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
286 posts
Save Topic
Hertz car rental

Hi, we will be picking up a car (most probably a suv) from launceston airport. Deciding between Avis, budget, hertz now. More inclined to take hertz but the cost estimates listed at its website are not very comprehensive. Does anyone know how much roughly it will cost to purchase an excess reduction cover, and to add an additional driver?

Emailed hertz but understood that their respond time will be 3 to 5 working days. Thought of getting this settled quickly, n so really appreciate if anyone could help.

Also, will a SUV be more suitable than a sedan for a round island trip, covering mt field national park, cradle mountain?

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,018 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hertz car rental

Hi lighthouse,

If you are just concerned about driving to National Parks of Cradle Mountain and Mt Field both can be reached by sealed road. With Mt Field I wouldn't advise going any further than the visitor centre, the falls are an easy walk from there, and Cradle Mountain is accessed tottally by sealed road, so therefore there's no need for SUV unless you want to go 4 x 4ing somewhere else.

First read the Hertzs single vehicle accident (SVA) statement below taken from their terms and conditions, especially the statement in capital letters. Their cost for SUV excess reduction is around the $30 per day, but with the statement below IMO Hertz is not a good option.

Single Vehicle Accident

If the rental vehicle is damaged in a Single Vehicle Accident (an accident not involving a collision between the rental vehicle and another vehicle, other than a parked vehicle), you are liable for the cost of repair up to the amount of the ADE plus AUD $2200 (inclusive of GST). This currently applies to all vehicles at all locations and can be waived with the purchase of Maximum Cover at participating locations.

SVA DOES NOT APPLY TO TASMANIA.

TASMANIA HAS A NON-WAIVABLE AUD $9900 EXCESS ON UNSEALED ROADS.

I would look at one of the others, I can only advise on Avis as their my preferred rental company. From personal experience they are much clearer in their insurance coverage. I'm not saying their perfect, far from it but I've had no problems with them. Their full protection package is also around the $30 per day, and I can't find a SVA statement like Hertz on their Terms and Conditions.

So IMO you don't need a SUV and sedan would be fine, and for the extra driver if it's you partner there's no charge, there will be if you want a third person.

Hope this helps.

Sae travels - Robert

Edited: 4:42 pm, October 06, 2012
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,341 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hertz car rental

I agree: you don't need an SUV.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
286 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hertz car rental

Thks. I was actually quite confused reading hertz's clauses. Is budget as good? It is slightly cheaper then Avis? Btw is there any locally owned company which is also cheap n good?

Plan to visit the Styx n upper florentine valleys too, are the roads sealed?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,341 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hertz car rental

All the big rental companies are pretty similar.

The Gordon River Road which runs from Mount Field National Park for about 90km to the Gordon Dam is an excellent sealed road all the way. However, the side roads into the Florentine and Styx are dirt logging roads. While they are both quite good roads, you can't do more than about 60kph on them, IMO.

The dirt road to the Styx Big Tree is good. Have you stumbled upon the thread with instructions on how to get there? tripadvisor.com.au/…28294152

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
286 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hertz car rental

Hi, I was reading at the hertz sva clause again n getting more confused. It says that the sva statement does not apply to Tasmania. So do I interpret it as there is no sva exclusion in Tasmania? Meaning we can buy the excess reduction cover to the max coverage.? Can anyone advise?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,341 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hertz car rental

The Ts&Cs for Tasmania are here:

autorent.com.au/index.php/…termsandconditions

It does not refer to single vehicle accidents, so they would not appear to be excluded from Liability Reduction insurance.

However, it says - with regard to Unsealed Roads Liability

"Regardless of fault you’re liable for up to the first $9,900 of any loss/damage/accident/recovery on an unsealed road (including subsequent towage). Even if you reduce your sealed road liability to $0, you’ll still be liable for up to the first $9,900 on an unsealed road."

It would be a bad idea to damage their vehicle on an unsealed road.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
286 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hertz car rental

Ya, looks like the SVA is not excluded in Tasmania. But the liability on unsealed roads is really hefty.

Wondering is this a common loading in Tas?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,341 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hertz car rental

No. If you take a look at the other majors, you'll find some variation. Generally the requirement is to remain on formed roads - which may be dirt.

However, I wouldn't be overly concerned about it. The vast majority of roads are sealed. Where are you going that might require travel on dirt roads?

Are you still planning on going to Hastings Cave?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
286 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hertz car rental

Not doing driving on dirt road, just visiting the major places of interest which I believe shd have proper roads.

Think I have been reading too much into clauses.

Hasting caves need to drive on unusual roads?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,341 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hertz car rental

A few of of the National Parks have dirt access roads. Hastings Cave is one of them.

Drive slowly and don't crash. :)