We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Very short trip to Tasmania

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Very short trip to Tasmania

Hi all,

A small group of us are heading to Tasmania for a very short break. Landing in Launceston Friday late at nigth. The plan is to see one or two must see attractions on Saturday during the day whilst making our way to Hobart (Freycinet or bay of fires)

The plan is to be in Hobart for dinner and to go out on Saturday night. On Sunday we plan to visit some must see sights in and around Hobart. Our flight on Sunday departs at 7pm.

Any ideas on what to see, how best to plan our tight schedule, places to eat, go out and stay overnight in Hobart and Launceston are welcome.

Unfortunately we cannot extend the stay due to work commitments.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Launceston
Launceston
Tasmania, Australia
Hobart
Hobart
Greater Hobart, Australia
Freycinet
Freycinet
Tasmania, Australia
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,371 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Very short trip to Tasmania

Good restaurants in Launceston are Novaro's, Me Wah, Stillwater, Black Cow. For something more casual Elaia in Charles Street is good. On a Friday night you would need to book ahead.

Best accommodation in Launceston is Kurrajong House, IMO. It advertises as a B&B, but it's really a small boutique hotel that serves breakfast. There are lots of big hotels too.

On the way to Hobart it is possible to travel via Freycinet, but the drive would be about 5 hours total. Via Bay of Fires would add about two hours to that, so i think it's too far.

An alternative would be to go down the Midland (Heritage) Highway via Campbell Town, Ross, Oatlands and Kempton. Much more interesting and half the driving time: http://www.heritagehighway.com.au/

Best accommodation in Hobart is the Islington. :Lots of other places around the docks. Sullivan's Cove and Old Woolstore Apartments are good options. Best value for money is Fountainside, IMO.

Eat at Ethos or Garagistes for an experience.

And for places to see, here's my Top 10 Must Sees: tripadvisor.com.au/GoListDetail-i23142-Luigi…

Luigi

Mentioned in this post
Launceston
Launceston
Tasmania, Australia
Novaro's Restaurant
Novaro's Restaurant
420 Reviews
Launceston, Australia
Black Cow Bistro
Black Cow Bistro
1,114 Reviews
Launceston, Australia
Kurrajong House
Kurrajong House
190 Reviews
Launceston, Australia
Freycinet
Freycinet
Tasmania, Australia
Bay of Fires Lodge
Bay of Fires Lodge
82 Reviews
Mount William National Park, Australia
Hobart
Hobart
Greater Hobart, Australia
Islington Hotel
Islington Hotel
493 Reviews
Hobart, Australia
The Old Woolstore Apartment Hotel
The Old Woolstore...
1,692 Reviews
Hobart, Australia
Fountainside Hotel
Fountainside Hotel
1,290 Reviews
Hobart, Australia
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Very short trip to Tasmania

Hi.

Are you planning on self drive or hiring a tour company. A lot of the companies will prob organise the accommodation, but I just read a bad review for one company. So if you do make sure you have good look at the itinerary before you pay deposit.

3. Re: Very short trip to Tasmania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, December 16, 2013