We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tasmania in the winter?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tasmania in the winter?

I'm going to Tasmania for six weeks (mid June-Aug). I would have loved to go during the summer, but it just didn't work out for us. Obviously 99% of all guidebooks assume you're going in the warmer months...is there anything I should know/expect about the Tasmanian winter?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tasmania in the winter?

It will be cold. There will probably be snow at Cradle mountain and on mt Wellington in Hobart. You will need waterproof coat and warm clothes. There are often bitingly cold winds and a lot of rain in winter. But nevertheless it is beautiful and I am sure that you will have a great time.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tasmania in the winter?

We were in Tasmania in late July a couple of years ago and it was wet & COLD! (reminded me a bit of the weather in Britain)....but still beautiful.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tasmania in the winter?

hi, I hope that you have a lovely time,

I have found some lovely days in June, although cold as in 6 degrees to 10 max, no rain, clear blue skies.

This was in Hobart and it was just so nice. It is a beautiful part of the world and hope that you enjoy.

Where are you staying as such??

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tasmania in the winter?

Thanks for the info!

I'll be staying in Hobart, but I plan to travel around quite a bit.

Bridport, Tasmania
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tasmania in the winter?

Hi from a Tasmania. I live in the NE of the State. Yes it can be cool but depends on where you come from and what you are used to. Call in for a warm cuppa or a coffee when you're passing.

1800 Bridport Rd, Bridport, Tasmania 7262

bridport@bigpond.com

cheers Teapot2

Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tasmania in the winter?

Hi Rbdfoxes

My suggestion will be to travel around the entire island as different parts of the island offers you a very different view of Tasmania. It's a small island with very diverse flora, fauna and architecture.

Must not miss: Cradle Mountain, Bicheno - where you get to watch penguins in the natural habitat upclose and personal.

Fremantle, Western...
Level Contributor
681 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tasmania in the winter?

We visited Tasmania in Winter and LOVED it! if we go back again, I would go back in Winter.

The air is so crisp and pure. The snow looks gorgeous on the eucalyptus trees. It has a very romantic feel to it.

I'd stay a night at Cradle Mountain or Lemonthyme Lodge. Both are beautiful in Winter.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tasmania in the winter?

air is so crisp and pure, I felt that i had come out of the fog and pollution and could breathe!!

Its so clean and beautiful there.

hobart
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tasmania in the winter?

all you will need to do is rug up! in a sense you will be coming down at the best time - not many other tourists about, cheaper accommodation and beautiful snowy scenery. not many people have realised how nice it is down here in the winter.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Tasmania in the winter?

Awesome, I can't wait. I just found out that my boyfriend's mum has a caravan, so we'll be traveling in style! :)