We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip highlights

sydney australia
Level Contributor
548 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
trip highlights

We have just returned from our lightning trip to Tassie. Highlights:

Russell Falls in Mt Field National Park - an easy short walk from the car park and visitor centre, through magical rainforest with ferns, mosses etc to a lovely waterfall.

Mt Nelson - a good alternative to Mt Wellington with great views of Hobart and the bay area. We had a lovely devonshire tea in the cafe.

Freycinet, Wine Glass Bay lookout - the weather cleared for long enough for us to do the 1 hour walk and experience the view exactly as it is depicted in the tourist photos. Unbelievable. I had big concerns over my ability to do the walk, which is rated moderate in the guidebooks. However, I managed it with lots of rests and positive thinking.

Battery Pt - lovely historic area with a great bakery, where my husband had an exceptional scallop pie. Bakery was called Jackman&McRoss. It's not far from here to the wharf area. We had excellent fish and chips at Fish Frenzy. We also bought some fantastic Bruny Island oysters at one of the floating vendors on the waterfront. Much cheaper than Mures.

State Cinema in North Hobart - arthouse cinema with a lovely cafe attached. A good rainy day alternative. The whole area is good for food and shopping, and looking at historic architecture.

We stayed at Wyndham Seven Mile Beach and Freycinet Lodge. For anyone who has access to the Wyndham resort, which is being redeveloped, I highly recommend it. The new units are amazing. The resort is across the road from the beach, and it has a brand new pool, gym, sauna and steam room area. We had a ball there. Freycinet Lodge was also great. The cabins are not luxurious, but are very comfortable (we were in an Oyster Bay cabin), in a bush setting (mostly with no water view BTW) and in harmony with the National Park setting of the lodge. The lodge building was very comfortable on a cold, rainy night, with big log fires. The lodge has a wonderful view, shared by the main restaurant and the bistro. The meal we had in the bistro was the best meal of the trip, IMHO way beyond the typical bistro standard.

We both noticed how relaxed and friendly everyone was. Since my husband is of Asian origin, we anticipated the possibility of small-town bigotry, but did not encounter it anywhere.

All in all, it was the perfect holiday, even though we only had 6 nights. I'll be spreading the word that Tasmania is the place to visit. We've been fortunate enough to travel all over the world, and have enjoyed it, but this destination is right up there with the best.

Mentioned in this post
Russell Falls
Russell Falls
466 Reviews
Mount Field National Park, Australia
Mount Field National Park
Mount Field National Park
Tasmania, Australia
Mount Wellington
Mount Wellington
6,338 Reviews
Hobart, Australia
Hobart
Hobart
Greater Hobart, Australia
Freycinet
Freycinet
Tasmania, Australia
Fish Frenzy
Fish Frenzy
1,517 Reviews
Hobart, Australia
Bruny Island
Bruny Island
Tasmania, Australia
State Cinema
State Cinema
389 Reviews
Hobart, Australia
North Hobart
North Hobart
313 Reviews
Hobart, Australia
Freycinet Lodge
Freycinet Lodge
1,204 Reviews
Coles Bay, Australia
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,071 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip highlights

Glad you had a good time.

It's nice to hear that the bistro at Freycinet Lodge is still as good (we were there four years ago).

Thank you for taking the time to post a report.

Mentioned in this post
Freycinet Lodge
Freycinet Lodge
1,204 Reviews
Coles Bay, Australia
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,712 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip highlights

Fally, It's great to see that you enjoyed your trip.

Fish Frenzy is one of my favourites, too.

It would be good if you could do reviews for the places you stayed.

(And MacKnee, thanks for the other thing. Couldn't reply there for fear of bumping it up again.)

Mentioned in this post
Fish Frenzy
Fish Frenzy
1,517 Reviews
Hobart, Australia
sydney australia
Level Contributor
548 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip highlights

I have reviewed the Wyndham Seven Mile Beach Resort, and am about to do the same for Freycinet Lodge. I always try to review accommodation - over the past few years I have found TA reviews to be absolutely invaluable. I believe that TA can make the difference between a disaster and a great holiday! Of course, we have to take into account the taste and prejudices of individual reviewers when we're reading reviews. For instance, I loved Freycinet Lodge, and I believe that the accommodation is in keeping with its environmentally friendly policy and its location in a National Park. However, there may be some who think the accommodation should be more luxurious. Also, there is a slight question mark over the current owners of the resort - the large company that doesn't have a reputation for environmentally friendly practices! But I admit, knowing who the owners are didn't stop me from staying there.

Mentioned in this post
Seven Mile Beach
Seven Mile Beach
179 Reviews
Seven Mile Beach, Australia
Freycinet Lodge
Freycinet Lodge
1,204 Reviews
Coles Bay, Australia
4. Re: trip highlights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:43 am, December 12, 2009