We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Devonport or Burnie?? Which place should we stay in??

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
551 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Devonport or Burnie?? Which place should we stay in??

We are travelling around Tasmania in April 09 and I am currently booking accommodation and am not sure if we should stay 1 night in Devonport or 1 night in Burnie? It would be my husband, myself and our 14 year old son. We will be coming from Launceston and on our way to Cradle Mountain.

Which of the 2 places has the most to do and see and would be better to base ourselves. Suggestions on accommodation in either place would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance,

Annette

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,264 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Devonport or Burnie?? Which place should we stay in??

Devonport might be the nicer (my opinion) of the 2 - seems more practical too. but it depends on the time you have spare each day.

from Devonport you could travel to Cradle Mt detouring via Sheffield (town of murals), and Mole Creek. Of course you could travel Launceston - Devonport via these places too.

from Burnie to Cradle Mt the Murchison Highway route would be more practical - otherwise you head back almost to Devonport on a longer drive.

of course from Launceston in the time it takes to drive to Burnie, you could almost be in Cradle Mt.

So basically it bolis down to how early you migth leave Launceston and how long you are spending at Cradle Mt and as to how early you need to arrive.

Tasmanian
Level Contributor
187 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Devonport or Burnie?? Which place should we stay in??

Hi Nettinpete,

In April when the weather is cooling and the days are shortening I would choose Devonport.

From there you can travel to Cradle Mountain via Sheffield, Claude Road, Gowrie Prk and Cethana Dam and Moina.

While you are in Devonport you or your 14 yr old! may enjoy a night out at the Cmax theatre also the imaginarium is in Devonport and everyone enjoys going there.

On the trip from Launceston to Devonport you may want to visit the Raspberry farm near Elizabeth Town, detour to the Westbury maze, drop into the Anver's chocolate factory near Latrobe for an awsome hot chocolate, and visit the wood chopping hall of fame at Latrobe.

You really need more than just one day in this region!

Have a happy holiday. Check out this blog too http://www.ppcr-tinman.blogspot.com there are other holiday suggestions.

3. Re: Devonport or Burnie?? Which place should we stay in??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, August 11, 2009