We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymooning in Tasmania

Zug, Switzerland
1 post
Save Topic
Honeymooning in Tasmania

Hi,

We are planning to spend our honeymoon in Jan in Tasmania (1 week)

We would like to enjoy good food (oysters !) and wine, see beautiful beaches but also just take it easy.

Ideally we'd stay in not more than 3 different places. Can anyone suggest where to go and where to stay? Thanks a million!!

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymooning in Tasmania

Tasmania is not a large place and easy to drive around but on a honeymoon I agree you dont want to move around.Spend some time in hobart-there is some great eating there.Then probably hire a car and drive to port arthur for a visit and on to the freycinet lodge which would be an ideal honeymoon retreat for 2 or 3 days.

Then drive back dropping off the car at the airport.

Australia
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymooning in Tasmania

I have just submitted a post on my recent trip to Tasmania which you may find helpful. Good food abounds everywhere in Tasmania but there are some really special places of course.

It was suggested to me that Home Hill vineyard in the Huon Valley was a very special place to eat but it was not open when I was there. Apparently it is only open on weekends but is very special.

Richmond is another place that I love - a very charming little village built by convicts and there is a lot of quaint convict built accommodation there.

Beaches in Tasmania are stunning especially around the Frecinet ( spelling???) area or in particular Coles Bay. Another nice area for beaches is the Bay of Fires which is a bit further north. These areas are not highly populated and you are sure to find somewhere to yourselves.

You will enjoy Tasmania - it is a world apart and a little piece of heaven if you like clean air, beautiful food and few people.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
151 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymooning in Tasmania

Hobart has great restaurants. For day I would suggest brunch or coffee and cake at Jackman and McRoss on Hampden Road in Battery Point.

Another fab find on my recent visit was Choux Shop in town. Once again great for lunch.

Launceston
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymooning in Tasmania

Three great place to base yourselves are Launceston, Stanley in the far north west and as Elizabeth2 suggested, Coles Bay. Freycinet Lodge is just inside Freycinet National Park - and appropriately adjacent to Honeymoon Bay.

Cradle Mt is also another option.

see www.touringtasmania.info

Gerry

Tasmania
Level Contributor
111 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymooning in Tasmania

Hi,

You will have a wonderful trip in Tassie in January!

If money is not a problem i would stay the first couple nights at Ivory Fields Spa Retreat on the east coast - absolutely beautiful, peaceful & romantic, and caters for adults. You can then explore up & down the east coast till your hearts content. And a 'must stop' is Kates Berry Farm at Swansea - yummo! (Website for interest is www.ivoryfields.com.au for the accommodation)

Then for the rest of the trip i would base myself around the immediate Hobart area. Port Arthur is worth a look, Hastings Caves/Thermal springs are good down the Huon (fantastic wine/food), and Russell Falls is a lovely spot.

Wherever you go in tassie you will find beautiful food and wine so no worries there!

It's probably an obvious statement, but i would hire a car! Many people think we have trains (NOT!) and the public transport (buses) is not the best!

Hope i haven't prattled on for too long (but i love this state!!)

Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymooning in Tasmania

hobart has a great range of restaurants. you could look up the henry jones hotel on the internet which is a very special hotel on the waterfront within walking distance to all the watefront restaurants.

depending on when in January you are in Tassie the Taste of Tasmania festival may be on and the Sydney to Hobart Yachts will be docked at the wharf.

i would recommend the east coast also. st helens is very nice and you can find private rentals for beach houses around that area. again try internet search for tasmanian tourism.

good luck