We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

yet another itinerary needing opinions:)

Hagerman, Idaho
Level Contributor
723 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
yet another itinerary needing opinions:)

Hi all. so I fly into Launceston August 30 and leave Sept 8th. so I will have a good 8 1/2 days in Tassie land to explore. I was thinking of renting a camper van so I can sleep wherever I find a campground and not have to worry about hotels and be flexible. This is my list of things I want to fit into 8 days

arrive on 30th in launceston-I get there at 2pm so figure I can head out immediatly for cradle mountain or Narawntapu or Tamar

Cradle Mountain-critters-evening,full day and night

Stanley-dive with seals full day and night

Narawntapu-devils and other critters-full day and night

Tamar wetlands-birding fit into an early morning somewhere after Narawntapu? on way to Bicheno?

Bicheno-penguins and maybe diving-day to get there after Tamar and see penguins that nite-dive next day and then?

Hobart-dive in kelp forest with sea dragons and seals

other fun sounding this are trout fishing, boat ride to one of the islands in Bass strait to see birds, caves, extra day hiking around somewhere etc

so basically-I want to see devils and other fuzzies and lots of birds and I want to dive in some cool places. I like remote nature and camping and am not at all into touristy places. I'm thinking that If I omit Hobart then I can fit the rest of the main points into 8 days? where should I add an extra day?

I know with diving Im really risking it in terms of weather-anyone knwo just how the waves tend to be on the northwest and northeast coasts in September? Is tasman Penn/Hobart area safer bet for diving? It seems more organized there...

Oh-and I am travelling by myself so group tours may be a problem and other than the diving and penguins I just plan on going solo-if no one else is there to sign up for things? Ive had some problems in the past with that.

I hear the roads are good but curvey-I have no problems with bad roads coming from Tanzania but wonder how the camper fares with the curves? I drive a landcruiser and have never had problems with tight turns but dont know how a camper is-anyone ever drive a camper van here?

Oh and does anyone have opnions on what is the best Tassie pinot noir?

UGH-I need more time!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
523 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: yet another itinerary needing opinions:)

The ideal wild experience is camping on Maria Island. You catch a ferry from Triabunna which is near Hobart. However it will be freezing in winter.

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: yet another itinerary needing opinions:)

We had a campervan for the west coast/cradle mountain. No problem with the curves, just took it slowly, especially as there were some great views. We had no problems, but a lady in a sedan slipped on a tight corner in the rain and damaged the side of her car. We travelled down the unsurfaced coastal route. Called in on a kelp processing plant. Lots of wild coast line.

Feel you need to get in touch with a tasmanian dive company for your dives. Especially as you may be tempted to dive alone - look at one of our former primeministers - body never found.

If you are winging your itinerary, you can always change the timing to suit.

Hobart
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: yet another itinerary needing opinions:)

Hi serval girl - here's a few pinots to consider eaglehawkcellars.com.au/tas_pinot_noir.htm - Stefano Lubiana wines have a top reputation.

Maybe have a day of searching for conclusive evidence one of our elusive carnivores? Thylacines are considered extinct, though many people believe there may still be a few around, and tassie probably has a population of foxes, though many people doubt it.

Hagerman, Idaho
Level Contributor
723 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: yet another itinerary needing opinions:)

thanks for the comments everyone-guess I would be driving slowely looking for critters anyways so curves would be fine. Aardvark you read my mind-Ive wanted to see a thylacine since I was 5 years old and got these wildlife cards, one of which was of the tassie tiger -early 70s and it was listed as "probably extinct" any recs for where sightings are? there used to be a Thylcaine day in tassie on Sept 7th or 8th-does that still go on? I couldnt find any onfo on it. and thanks for wine info-you rock Aardvaark:)

Hobart
Level Contributor
250 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: yet another itinerary needing opinions:)

Hi again serval girl

Some info on Thylacines:

…tas.gov.au/wildlife/mammals/thylacin.html

naturalworlds.org/thylacine/films/motion_fil…

National Threatened Species Day, September 7, commemorates the death of the last captive thylacine environment.gov.au/biodiversity/…index.html

The North East looks good for sightings http://www.tasmanian-tiger.com/sightings.htm , a Parks and Wildlife officer reported seeing one near Pyengana in 1995

www.underdownunder.com.au/tassietiger.html

Hagerman, Idaho
Level Contributor
723 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: yet another itinerary needing opinions:)

First-Ardvark88-GREAT links-looks I may spend more time in NE-do you know what accessibility is around Scottsdale for camping and driving on little used roads to look for tigers? heck-I know I wont see one-but the opportunity to search-cool:)

OK-so Ive changed my schedule realizing that it was gonna be too much driving and not enough enjoying.

So no stanly or hobart........

30th. arrive at 130 get camper visit Cataract Gorge, continue on to most remote spot NE I can find to camp and look for tigers:)

31st head to Georgetown in the AM bright eyed and bushy tailed to go birding along Tamar then dive with seals or seal cruise(not stanly-oops) spend nite around there near river

1st drive to Bicheno, stopping at St Helens and vineyards then going on penguin tour. spend nite on beach

2nd dive Bicheno then continue on to Freycinite/Coles

spend nite on beach

3rd full day at FNP birding and kayaking and stuffing my face with oysters spend nite on beach

4th head up to Mole creek to see caves in am and Trowunna wildlife sanctuary continue to Cradle spend nite at cradle camp site/devils at cradle night tour

5th full day at cradle hiking and devils

6th drive to Narwantapu, stopping at Platypus world-is that on the way or past it-is it cheesy-is Warrawee better? spend nite NNP camp site

7th full day at NNP

8th wake up early and return camper-flight at 11.

Of course I will have to start planning my NEXT trip to fit it all in 9or mayber next 3 trips?) but I think this schedule will mean less driving, no backtracking and I get in 90% of what I wnated to do-

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: yet another itinerary needing opinions:)

Platypus House is in Beauty Point so it's not on the way from Cradle to Narawntapu, but it doesn't seem very far either. We plan to do both just in case we don't see one at Warrawee. There are guided tours at Warrawee for a $10 donation and can be booked by calling 03 6426 1774. The departure times in August are 7:00am or 4:45pm (may be slightly different in early September).

Have a great time!

8. Re: yet another itinerary needing opinions:)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 pm, October 06, 2009