We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rydges Hotel Hobart????

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
230 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Rydges Hotel Hobart????

Just saw a great deal on the great outdoors for the Rydges. ($119). i have made a booking but now after reading the reviews on trip advisor am some what concerned.

has anyone recently stayed there? and would we better off booking the Hotel grand chancellor???

we get there in four weeks. any help would be great

thanks again

mrsdj

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rydges Hotel Hobart????

which room type for that price?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
230 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rydges Hotel Hobart????

it was for the king room with a fold out queen size bed/ or a king bed with two singles.

It was just reading the reviews and the location. we will have a car to get around.

a similar room 2 x double bed at the chacellor was $150 with a entertainment book discount.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
523 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rydges Hotel Hobart????

Isn't the Hotel Grand Chancellor the really old one ? For the heritage feel but with modern and clean facilities I recommend Bellerive B&B in the nearby suburb of Bellerive.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,837 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rydges Hotel Hobart????

The Grand Chancellor is a modern building which is home to Hobart's convention centre. I don't recall seeing it when I visited Hobart in the eighties so I don't think it's that old at all. The rooms were being updated a couple of years ago when we were there. Basement parking and walking distance to most things.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rydges Hotel Hobart????

have to say my parents found Rydges fine.

they had an antique suite(I think) and certainly enjoyed the complimentary port decanter (refilled daily)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rydges Hotel Hobart????

The Grand Chancellor is an older but still modern hotel, refurbed and sold to the group that runs it. I can't recall its previous name, but it featured prominantly in the Sydney to Hobart race celebrations every year.

It is in good condition though, don't doubt that, and is a box like structure with its main entrance on the NE end of Davey Street, opposite and NE of Mure's Seafood.

Rooms are great, we got a wotif deal there last November for a harbour view room, king bed, and it was well worth it. Be aware though the mountain view rooms are about 40-50 bux less per night. I hear the food and buffet are great there but we didn't get around to trying it as we had made other arrangements.

The Rydges property is in North Hobart and I'm not sure I'd call it walking distance to the waterfront. It would be nearly 2 kms from the HGC for sure. Others may care to disagree :-)

I'd go for the Grand Chancellor, but it is a jump up in price, and then the waterfront apartment style places that others may mention, such as Zero Davey and the Henry Jones Art Hotel are another jump in price again.

Cheerz Wab.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,789 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rydges Hotel Hobart????

Bellerive is a suburb on the eastern shore - certainly not in the centre of things! You would need to use a car and find parking every time you wnated to do any touristy type thing. Stick with places near the docks and the city - as per most of the above suggestions.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
1,403 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rydges Hotel Hobart????

Grand Chancellor has the advantage, as its in a prime position.

We did stay here and the views great but it does need to be refurbished and modernized to bring it up to standard. If you can get GC at a good price then you will love the position.

Overall, its a reasonable comfortable hotel offering excellent views and position.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,132 posts
1,403 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rydges Hotel Hobart????

sorry, I meant to put my review in..so you see pics of GC.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g255097-d256…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
230 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rydges Hotel Hobart????

Thanks to everyone!

we have decided to stay at the Rydges for the first 2 nights as we arrive at 11.30 pm and spending the next day at Port Arthur. The second day after check out we will be heading to Launceston. They have a great deal for breakfast at the moment as well.

Still havent decided where to stay in Launceston, and leaning towards the Grand Chancellor for our last night in hobart.

If anyone has a reasonable suggestion for Launceston i am all ears.

thanks again to everyone

mrs dj