We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is 2 weeks too much?

Lancs UK
Level Contributor
527 posts
246 reviews
Save Topic
is 2 weeks too much?

I'm planning a holiday to Tasmania next January.Will 2 weeks be too much or is there plenty to keep us occupied?We like walking and wildlife

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: is 2 weeks too much?

I don't think 2 weeks is too much but my question is are you seeing other parts of Australia and how much time are you devoting to the mainland? If you are only in the country 3 weeks but spending 2 in Tassie then I'd personally want to reconsider my itinerary.

Tasmania in January is pretty great weatherwise...perfect for walking/hiking. Usually somewhere in the 20s (the occassional day in the 30s but IME not often).

You will love it!

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
256 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is 2 weeks too much?

Hi jax we spent a week touring Tas last Feb 07 ..IT WAS NOT long enough ... we bypassed the eastern coast ..wine glass bay and up ..with full intentions of a repeat trip in the future to Tas ...The couple we travelled with from Melbourne are there as I type doing a 2 week tour of areas we missed ..

Be sure to try and get on an Island boat tour ..Tasman Island & lighthouse awesome scenery of the coastline of the Tasman National Park

Cradle mountain ..gordon River are but a couple highlights ..

enjoy.........

Marvie

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
711 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is 2 weeks too much?

We spent almost 3 weeks in Tassie and even that wasn't long enough! It's a small area but there's just so much to do and see and definitely plenty to keep you occupied for 2 weeks.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: is 2 weeks too much?

Hello jax11ard,

As others have said, two weeks is not enough to do our island state justice. Some people look at the map and see that Tasmania is so small compared to the mainland and think they will be able to do it in a few days, but when you get there you will find so many things to do and see. Also, it is not as quick to get around as most places on the mainland. The scenery is marvellous and different to the rest of the country, the two small cities are attractive, the food and wine scene constantly tempting, and there are interesting experiences to be had. Plan well and you will have a wonderful experience.

Lancs UK
Level Contributor
527 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is 2 weeks too much?

Hi to all and thanks for your advice.I will now get planning!

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,367 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is 2 weeks too much?

I agree with what has been said.I am currently coming to the end of a 4 week working stay and even though in a part of Tassie the locals often dismiss it has been a great time.

A word of warning-accommodation can be expensive.It is limited and January is peak season.

Tasmania
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: is 2 weeks too much?

If you like walking and wildlife, I highly recommend a trip to Maria Island (off Triabunna on the East Coast). You can go for a day trip or camp in a tent or in the penitentiary (old convict settlement) if you have the gear. For overnight you have to book with Parks & Wildlife well in advance for January. Lots to see - painted (sandstone) cliffs, fossil cliffs, old ruins, wombats, blue tonque lizards, wallabies, beaches and lots of walking tracks.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is 2 weeks too much?

Our family travels to Tasmania each year and we can assure you that 2 weeks is not too long. It is an island of wonderful attractions so go for it. Plan carefully otherwise you can miss heaps

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
182 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is 2 weeks too much?

My parents are lucky enough to live on the North East coast of Tassie (near St Helens) and i'm fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to visit them on numerous occasions. I could spend months and months exploring Tasmania, it's one of my favourite places in the world. I agree with what someone said about Maria island. It's really beautiful. Having said that, the whole east coast is. Especially for walking, camping and exploring some amazing beaches. I've pretty much travelled the whole of Tassie except over the West coast (extreamley rugged coastlines and unpredictable weather conditions i've heard) and i really do love the place. No doubt you will to.

Oh... and the food and wine is sure to be some of the best you've ever had

Australia
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is 2 weeks too much?

For beauty and walking think about Bruny Island, especially South Bruny Island (lovely). Just spent 3 days there - beautiful walks, beaches, spectacular scenary. We didn't do the boat trip around the cliffs, but evidentlly it is wonderful. We stayed in self contained accommodation "Explorers Cottages" - comfortable and reasonably priced. Lovely young hosts. You would probably need to book ahead in january.