We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 weeks in Burnie,Tasmania

Sunny Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,372 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
4 weeks in Burnie,Tasmania

Working in Burnie for 4 weeks so will post my experiences-a working trip report.Can not comment on accommodation as that is supplied but will talk about restaurants,things to do and sidetrips to other parts of NW Tasmania.Later separate trip reports on hobart and the Henry Jones Hotel as well as Cradle mountain Lodge.

Arrived at 6pm on a Sunday evening.Fortunately had taxi booked and prepaid as Burnie airport is at Wynyard about 15km from Burnie and a bit over $30 by taxi.We had flown into Burnie many years ago after a stay on King Island so knew what to expect.Very laid back.Open the doors to the baggage section when unloaded and everyone tries to get through the door together.But as only 33 max on plane from Melbourne not a major problem.

As is usual when you set out about 8pm to find somewhere to eat in an Australian regional centre on Sunday night the pickings are slim.Even those places open have often closed or unwilling to take new orders by then so it was La Porchetta the chain Italian restaurant.Cheap enough and not expecting gourmey food so OK by us.

Monday night we wanted to try Fish Frenzy-branch of the well known Hobart fish and chippery which advertises a quote from the SMH about being 'arguably the best fish and chips in Australia".Well I would argue with that sentiment.Calamari and scallops that were rubbery and fish dried out.Not a patch on my local Bridge Seafoods back in Mooloolaba.A great position though right on the beach.

Next night a real find.A new restaurant to town-Muddled.And it was great.Octopus cooked just right and a Paella for the 2 of us which was the best Paella I have had in Australia fror 30 years.Will be going back to this one.

Next instalment-the attractions.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 weeks in Burnie,Tasmania

I saw your post title drron and thought it was a question. I was ready to reply "DON'T DO IT!" but I see you're already there :-)

I must say that, at certain times of year, Burnie is a very pretty place...from the air. Hopefully your trip reports can turn my mind to seeing something more to the area than getting outta there. The paella already has me interested....

2. Re: 4 weeks in Burnie,Tasmania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 pm, September 22, 2009