We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels or apartments near the harbour in Hobart

Scotland
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Hotels or apartments near the harbour in Hobart

At present we are considering 4 nights in 2 single harbour view rooms for 17 October. However reading a few older postings it seems that the hotel may be in need of refurb. and I would welcomme comments on how other posters have found it recently.

Also for the cost of 2 single rooms we may be better in 2 bedroomed apartment accommodation and I would appreciate any recent recommendations

is Lenna of Hobart worth considering? For same price as 2 harbour rooms in Grand Chancellor could get into one of their 2 bedroom penthouse flats. But it may be a bit further away from waterfront area and up a steep hill by the look of it. The others I have looked at are Somerset on the Pier (but we do need to be on the flat and I think they have the bedrooms up stairs). Also the Zero Davey and any comments on these, in addition to others you have experience of, would be welcome also.

There are rooms in Henry Jones but for additional ASD 400 each in total for the 4 nights (compared to Grand Chancellor) and I am wondering finally if it is worth this much extra.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,241 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels or apartments near the harbour in Hobart

Top two floors had been refurbished when we were there in late 2005. Maybe you could email them and ask if the other floors are finished?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,315 posts
1,484 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels or apartments near the harbour in Hobart

Lenna's is in a fab position. I have stayed at both and personally I prefer Lenna's to Hotel C.

The Somerset Pier is in the ultimate position, its basically sitting on top of the water.

All 4 are in prime positions. Just 2 mins walk to the waterfront.

Just have dinner at Henry Jones, its very pricey...and to me all are good quality stays.

I would opt for an apartment.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels or apartments near the harbour in Hobart

Hi, I just checked the Lenna website - the penthouses (which have only just been built) look fantastic. The regular rooms are a bit "dated", but spacious, and we have stayed there recently (not in a penthouse). The location is terrific - at the southern end of the famous Salamanca Place. Yes - it is a short and steep walk up from Salamanca - ring them or email them for the exact distance, but I would say about 200 metres distance only. (only would be a problem with serious physical mobility restraints). The other ones in a great location (and in Hobart, it's all about being close to the waterfront and Salamanca) are:

Salamanca Inn, Salamanca Terraces, Somerset on the Pier, Sullivan's Cove Apartments. A good website to look at with info about hotels, location etc is:

www.wotif.com.au

It offers standby rates, but is a useful resource when looking at what is avaialable. I hope this helps.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels or apartments near the harbour in Hobart

Since the last reply I have read an article in the glossy magazine "Tasmanian Life" and it features the penthouses on top of Lenna in Salamanca area. They look fantastic!!!!! Interviews with the architect (a very well known and respected Hobart architect), the interior designer etc. Absolutely stunning views too.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels or apartments near the harbour in Hobart

If you have to be on the flat, Lenna is definately not, Somerset on the Pier and Zero Davey are as is Henry Jones, they are all extremely close to the water and all the main attractions of the waterfront. There is a considerable difference in the style of accommodation between the Grand Chancellor and Henry Jones, if you want boutique, beautiful accommodation then go for the latter.

I hope you have a great holiday in our beautiful state.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels or apartments near the harbour in Hobart

do you need to be on the flat for medical reasons??

I stayed at Lennas sister property attached across the road.

Its a bit of a slope,but only for about 2 minutes.then all is flat.one way down to Salamanca road.

great views from the penthouse at lennas.

we have top floor at salamanca terraces, lovely views too.

White Beach...
Destination Expert
for Tasmania
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels or apartments near the harbour in Hobart

I stayed at the Henry Jones and loved it - and got much cheaper rates on wotif.com than the published rates. October is just the beginning of the season here and it is likely that you would get good rates much nearer the time so if you dont mind waiting, wotif.com and similar sites usually list rooms 28 days ahead of time.

Scotland
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels or apartments near the harbour in Hobart

Thanks for responses. As a possible alternative I am now looking also at a couple of bed and breakfast places, Batterypoint bed and breakfast and the Gattonside heritage acommodation which seem only a 10 minute walk (or shorter taxi ride) from harbour and perhaps a bit quieter. As elsewhere in Australia we are staying in hotels or apartments might be fun to try something a bit different so any comments welcome. Somerset on the Pier, which would have been ideal, have no 2 bedroom apartments unfortunately for the time we will be in Hobart. Henry Jones looks great but beyond budget although I take the point we could wait until a month before and see what Wotif has to offer on basis if nothing comes up we would probably get something else.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels or apartments near the harbour in Hobart

Recently stayed at the Old Woolstore Hotel (one street behind Grand Chancellor), our room on the 10th Floor (that was the highest) (room 21?) had a great uninterrupted view of Mt Wellington. the room was large with our own washing machine & dryer - all the rooms are apartment style. The hot cooked b/fast ($16.00) buffet style was excellent, about a 10 minute walk to Salamanca Place & the dock area which had lots of restuarants (mainly seafood) to choose from. We ate at Fish Frenzy which was good (fast service), Henry Jones overpriced (mains over $30 each & not much of it), cool (temp) coffee/tea. Another seafood which names escapes me but had Upper Deck & Lower Deck we ate at the Upper Deck food ok enjoyed Frenzy more especially their Salmon Salad entree which was enough for me. In Battery Pt ate at Magic Curry their prawn dish (invented for a special couple years ago) was lovely. Ps areas around the waterfront of Grand Chancellor & Old Woolstore is flat.

10. Re: Hotels or apartments near the harbour in Hobart

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:15 am, September 23, 2009