We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on site or hotel for hobart

england
10 posts
Save Topic
advice on site or hotel for hobart

booked a campervan from 2nd Nov but prob plan on spending 1st and 2nd in a hotel so that we can experience a little of hobart. We dont arrive in airport till 9.15 on the 1st but we cant pick up the van this day as the depot will be closed. Can anyone advise if parking a campervan at hotel or in hobart will be diffficult. Not sure if we are wasting money by thinking about a hotel when we have a camper but sites seem some distance away and we would like to have a drink and a meal in Hobart which sort of rules out driving back to a site. Would a taxi to a site be an option. Any advice.

Mentioned in this post
Hobart
Hobart
Greater Hobart, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,728 posts
1,678 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice on site or hotel for hobart

I don't think you would have a problem parking your van in Hobart. There are a few parking stations available just near the Hotel Chancellor and at the waterfront but you will have to pay a parking fee. Otherwise, I would use a hotel that has a parking station available for their guests.

The best position to stay is at the waterfront. Hotels within this region are >

Somerset on Pier - apartments

Henry Jones Art Hotel - classy hotel

Lenna's - hotel (parking)

Hotel Chancellor - parking

The Old Woolstore apartments

Zero Davey apartments

(i'm not sure about the parking at the other hotels)....

Mentioned in this post
Hobart
Hobart
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,888 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice on site or hotel for hobart

The Chancellor has basement parking but I'm not at all sure you could take a campervan in there. I remember some of the spaces were interesting to manouevre into with an average sedan. There seemed to be a fair bit of parking nearby but as we never used it I don't know anything about cost, etc. Lovely convenient area to stay, I remember noticing Zero Davey and Henry Jones across the road.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,888 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice on site or hotel for hobart

I just thought of something else, and not having ever hired a campervan maybe it's a stupid question, but are there any insurance requirements about where you can leave it overnight?

(I remember many years ago in NZ we were told we would void the insurance if we drove on certain roads, I guess that made me wonder.)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: advice on site or hotel for hobart

Hi,

what type of camper is it exactly? 2 berth, 4 berth? Toyata hi-Ace, Winnebago? Lots of different kinds...and sizes.

Hotels with undercover parking very often have height limits.

Hotels with limited parking very often will determine who they let park where...if at all. If you show up in an enormous camper then I don't like your chances. Some spaces are only suitable for small cars to begin with.

england
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: advice on site or hotel for hobart

Thanks for replies. its a 2 berth britz elite. I have looed at the sites for the zero davey apartments and the henry jones. At the moment the zero davey looks appealing. I think they said they had a washer dryer which would be useful as we will have had a week in a campervan around cairns area. The henry jones seems to get good press too. Will our casual clothing do the job.

england
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: advice on site or hotel for hobart

will it be easy enough to eat late around the waterfront area as i dont suppose well be ready to eat untill late if flight doesnt arive till 9.15 pm

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,754 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advice on site or hotel for hobart

just addding on,Lennas also has salamanca terraces with parking right above the main street.top floor apartments with water views.

Hobart
Level Contributor
461 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: advice on site or hotel for hobart

I would be asking the hotels themselves.. e-mail them & print off there responses

Also an alternative may be Market Place Car Park, Hobart - which is 24 hour parking (not on the street)

The aiport is about 25 kms from the city so you will be taking a taxi in I guess.

Thats going to put you at a least 10:30pm I would say for a meal.

I'd contact a restaurant in advance!

Also hobart really is not that big, so you can consider "cheaper" options outside the main city like a hotel with onsite camping

Something like

http://www.riverfronthobart.com

Or lindisfarne something like that

Mentioned in this post
Hobart
Hobart
Hobart
Level Contributor
461 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply