We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scallop pies

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
scallop pies

When I first went to Tasmania in the 80s, you could buy scallop pies everywhere. They were delicious and SOOO Tasmanian. When we returned in 1995, despite searching all over the place, the only one we could find was at the bottom of a freezer at a general store near Huonville.

We are heading down again at Xmas, this time with our three scallop- loving children and are wondering whether the scallop pie has made a resurgence (I think I read that scallops are now being farmed and are more plentiful?) or whether they are kaput?

Where would you suggest we look?

Advice much appreciated.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,684 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: scallop pies

In spring of 2005 we had scallop pies with salad at the Tahune Airwalk visitors centre. Very nice! Later in Launceston we had them at the cafe at Cataract Gorge. Yum :-)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: scallop pies

Oh probably 8-10 years ago however we had beautiful scallop pies at Richmond , the cafe either in or beside the old jail......

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,684 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: scallop pies

Sorry, I should clarify, we first tried them at Tahune, then LATER during same holiday had them at Cataract Gorge. So my info dates from 2005.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: scallop pies

The bakery at Ross has them too.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: scallop pies

Thanks all, sounds like there's hope that we might find them. have noted those places - thanks again.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: scallop pies

Scallop fishing in Tassie was restricted for several years as wild populations were becoming depleted. The scallop fishing industry re-opened a few years ago, so you should be able to track down a scallop pie. Probably not as cheap as 10 years ago though!

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,684 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: scallop pies

Thanks for the info Ejidy.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: scallop pies

the only scallops we seem to get down the south coast of nsw these days come in a frozen block from japan.

expensive tasteless rubber like blobs.

send some tassie scallops up our way please.

putting them in pies seems a waste!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: scallop pies

Should have no trouble finding them over Xmas - I usually manage to have one (or two or three!!) at the Taste of Tasmania.

Am heading to tassie next week, and finding a scallop pie is high on my agenda!

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,684 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: scallop pies

Lucky you :-) Enjoy!