We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Complaint about Lake St Claire Resort

Brisbane
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Complaint about Lake St Claire Resort

I have just returned from a trip to Tasmania that was marred by a bad experience I had whilst staying at the Lake St Claire Resort on the weekend. The Resort had booked me onto their ferry so that I could do a day hike from Cynthia Bay and be picked up at Echo Point and taken back to the Resort. I was told that the ferry would pick me up at 2.30pm and after an anxious wait standing in the snow worrying that I would be stranded there over night the boat finally showed up at about 3.30pm. The driver of the boat was quite hostile towards me and told me that it was a 'waste of fuel' to have to collect just one person (the other 10 hikers never showed). When I got back to the Resort there was no apology and when I checked back in with Parks and Wildlife they informed me that it was only because they threatened to call the general manager of the resort and come and get me themselves that the resort actually decided to come and get me after all. It was two degrees and snowing when I arrived at the pickup point and although there was a very basic hut for hikers I was apalled that the resort thought it was okay to leave me there overnight (or walk back in the dark!) without a torch, matches or food. And I was soaked through from walking in the snow. And not even an apology! I'm really concerned that the resort could consider ignoring their duty of care and think it's frightening that someone could be left behind when told that they would be picked up. Does anyone know if there is an ombudsman or another authority that I could make a complaint to? I don't want to over react or create the impression that I take no responsibility for myself when going hiking etc but I find their actions very disturbing.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,203 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Complaint about Lake St Claire Resort

Without being able to answer the ombudsman part of the question ...

your post does raise another issue,,,,,,, what if you had not done the right thing and registered with NPWS....they wouldn't have known you were there...you would have been left stranded....

SCARY

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Complaint about Lake St Claire Resort

certainly worries the hell out of me

email parks and widlife and see what they think(just send a generic email, dont say its you etc)

see what they come back with

Certainly tell the resort your disgust also.

Brisbane
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Complaint about Lake St Claire Resort

Well I'm glad that it seems others don't think I'm over reacting to what happened. I'll make a complaint to the resort and look further into whether I can make a formal complaint to some kind of ombudsman or independant third party.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,238 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Complaint about Lake St Claire Resort

After what happened to that poor Danish tourist I would have thought they'd be ultra careful. Let us know what happens Beckster.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,855 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Complaint about Lake St Claire Resort

G'day Beckster

I certainly don't think you are overacting, pehaps a complaint or at least a mention to the relevant Tasmania state tourism authority.

Bemuda/Australia
Level Contributor
391 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Complaint about Lake St Claire Resort

it would not be an overreaction to put a full page ad out in major papers around the country. This is blatant failure to protect tourists at a dangerous time of the year. They should be named and shamed....and you shouldnt feel guilty at all about it

there is no excuse for it.

launceston
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Complaint about Lake St Claire Resort

AGH you poor poor thing!!!!

perhaps a letter to "the examiner" launceston and or "the mercury" hobart . or contact them to do a story .

if you really want to go all out contact today tonight or a current affair for a tabloid type story! ( google the details)

but really i suggest you write to paula wriedt (tasmanian minister for tourism) she is fairly approachable details are...

Hobart Office:

8th Floor, 10 Murray Street

Hobart, TAS, 7000

Tel: (03) 6233 8309

Fax: (03) 6233 4980

Email: paula.wriedt@parliament.tas.gov.au

you certainly sound justified in bringing it to the attention of the minister and or the media

if anything to ensure that this does not happen again good luck!!!!!

South East...
Level Contributor
12 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Complaint about Lake St Claire Resort

Send a letter to Tourism Tasmania with a copy to the relevant Minister in the Government. At least I can give you the email address for the Tourism Council Tasmania which is info@tict.com.au - whether that is the right one for you I do not know but it may be a start. Get the ball rolling on this as it is not a light issue.

Good luck

Liz

9. Re: Complaint about Lake St Claire Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 08, 2009