We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 days in Tassie

Batemans Bay...
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
8 days in Tassie

Hello all,

I will be heading down to Tassie in September with my beautiful bride for our honeymoon.

Are there any suggestions for "must see" spots while we're there? We will have 8 full days there and we'll be hiring a car to get around in.

We also haven't decided which town to fly in and out of either, Hobart or Launceston, is it that important?

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,335 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 days in Tassie

Congratulations!

My preference would be Hobart but depending on what you decide to include you may wish to fly into Hobart and out of Launceston or vice versa.

I would suggest the following must see's -

Hobart . . . . Mount Wellington, Cadbury's (or Cascade?) tour, Salamanca Place, scenic flight to South West Wilderness

Port Arthur . . . . historic site (entry pass is valid for two consecutive days), bushwalks, coastal scenery, animal park with Tassie devils, and I remember somebody mentioning a really good cruise (a short cruise is included at the historic site, I gather this is different)

Freycinet . . . . bushwalking (Cape Tourville walk is easy yet spectacular, if you're keen there are bigger walks too of course), relaxing in beautiful surroundings and enjoying visits by the local wildlife, and though we didn't manage to do it there's the penguin tour

Cradle Mountain . . . . scenery, scenery, scenery, oh and wildlife, and if you want more scenery and wildlife there's the Wilderness Gallery

You will likely go to Launceston, Cataract Gorge is worth a visit, also the monkeys in the city park. And if you have time St Helens/Binalong Bay is lovely. Then there's Strahan. Hubby and I loved it on our first trip to Tassie but we didn't manage to get there last time. Well, that's a bit to think about.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,335 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 days in Tassie

Oops, and the Botanic Gardens in Hobart are lovely.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 days in Tassie

View the tessalated pavement and the blow holes on the way to Port Arthur.

The cruise goes to the Isle of the dead -the convict cemetary.

Sea plane from Port Arthur flies over the settlement and to the end of the peninsula -great views.

Strachan -cruise to Sarah island- penal settlement on the west coast for the worst offenders

Hastings thermal springs for a relax in the heated water

Mole Creek zoo -hold a wombat

Batemans Bay...
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 days in Tassie

Thanks for the replies and tips folks.

I'm sure we'll be able to get to most of the places on our trip, the bride is especially interested in the Cadbury factory tour ;-).

Thanks again,

Steve.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
483 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 days in Tassie

HI

Whatever you do don't forget to BOOK the Cadbury tour

Batemans Bay...
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 days in Tassie

Thanks Julie, will do.

How long in advance can/should I book?

Puerto Del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,228 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 days in Tassie

Congratulations Steve. Why not start the marriage on the right path and do a bit of what you both wnat while in Hobart. Go with your new wife to the Cadbury's Factory tour, then have her join you for the Cascade Brewery Tour.

We only went to the latter, but was good value with free tastings at the end (so if you can get the Mrs to drive all the better).

I believe its the same for the Cadbury's tour, but certainly for the brewery tour you should book in advance as they do fill up regularly.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 days in Tassie

if there are school hols in Sept then Id book 8 weeks in advcance. We booked 3 weeks out when we went in February this year. They do tours every half hour from memory and have about 5 going at once...so there's plenty. But you wouldnt want to miss out!

Batemans Bay...
Level Contributor
43 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 8 days in Tassie

Great idea LV, although I don't think the bride will need too much arm twisting to go on the Cascade tour ;-).

Thanks for the heads up about the school hols, I just checked and the little tackers are on holidays between the 7th and 24th of Sep.

I'd better get organised.

Thanks again all for your help.

Steve.

10. Re: 8 days in Tassie

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, September 05, 2009