We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10days in Tasmania

brisbane
12 posts
Save Topic
10days in Tasmania

We're planning to go to Tasmania next week for 10days. Been twice before in summer. So we have done the usual things Port Arthur,Lavender fields,Gorge,grindelwald,cradle mountain, Sheffield

caves. WE have booked in at Wrest Point 3days then Gordon gateway 2days Stanley village Motel and 3 days Launceston C Club.

Has anyone been to these places and would you recommend them have to confirm with a couple of days.

Anything great to see that I haven't mentioned.

Regards Mag

Cradle Mountain
Forests, Mountains, Nature & Wildlife Areas, Waterfalls
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,018 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10days in Tasmania

Have you been to Freycinet?

Sorry, can't help with places you've booked.

Yeppoon, Australia
Level Contributor
277 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 10days in Tasmania

Irish stayed at the the Launny country club years and years ago it was nice then but getting on a bit. Not real keen to comment as my info isn't up to date, but since no-one else has had much to say, thought I'd put my 2 bobs worth!!

Cheers ThemMonkeys :)

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10days in Tasmania

Launcheston is beautiful. We stayed at the Old Bakery Inn very lovely place. Make sure you hike the gorge in Launcheston. I'd also recommend Cradle Mtn. Scheffield is awesome little town. the town of Murals. Port Arthur is amazing as well. I recommend doing a tour there. My photos are also listed in there.

www.pbase.com/dragonflylady

has a lot of photos of the murals its in my misc australia gallery. Its a cute little town.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 10days in Tasmania

My only concern with your accom. in Hbt and Lonny is that they're both out of the city centre by some distance. Presumably you've got a car (you will need it to get in to both townships). Wrest Point is nicely situated on the waterfront and hopefully your room will have a great view but unless you are very fit & eager you wont be able to wander in to Hbt on foot which is a shame because thats always IMO the best way to see a city.

Tasmanian
Level Contributor
187 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10days in Tasmania

HI,

The only reason you would stay at the country club is if you like gambling or playing golf! As others have indicated it is out of town, you can't walk to anywherre, they have you captured to eat in the restaurants etc and the temptation to take all your money is constantly there.

Why not stay somewhere nice, closer to town like the Alices Cottages or the Edwardian apartments, or York Mansions, or Edenholme Grange or Airlie in Civic Square.

Then you get to walk to lots of restaurants and soak up the great small city culture. Don't for get to visit the design centre and the Inveresk museum.

All the best for your holiday.

brisbane
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 10days in Tasmania

Well we had ourtrip and it was wonderful. As was pointed out previously we had it all to ourselves!! (just seemed that way)

We enjoyed every minute. Wrest point was lovely people fantastic couldn't have been more helpful. Benefit of staying there you can be out as long as you want and it's still going.great ducks and geese.Lovely room great view food quite cheap as we aren't into fancy eating on holiday.

Gordon gateway great so quite. Regatta great food 70's retro cook likes to call it!!lol We had the most wonderful cruise on the Gordon River. Tried twice before and it was rainy and dark not this time weather perfect cold crisp and incredibly blue skies.Apparently usually 180on cruise in summer there were ten of us on board and the crew were terrific. Snow at derwnt bridge looked like fairyland going down. Stanley at the nut dissapointed restaurant closed. I suppose they need holidays too just wish I'd realised. Dismal swamp incredible!! Try slide!! Penguin sulphur creek cape wonderful.

Launceston last Country club villas great. Food great prices in club.Evandale quaint.Saw the monkeys that was terrific.

Beauty point 3 trip ticket best value for Mine Seahorses and Platypuses. The girls who did tours at Beauty were excellent.

Can't wait to go again. Mag

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,018 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10days in Tasmania

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you enjoyed the Gordon cruise. We missed out on Strahan entirely last time because of the weather. The snow at Derwent Bridge sounds lovely.

8. Re: 10days in Tasmania

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 am, September 07, 2009