We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Around the island in 8 days

Queensland
1 post
Save Topic
Around the island in 8 days

Hi,

I am taking my partner for a whirlwind tour of TAS in September. I have planned to try and see as much of the state as I can in 8 days plus the 2 days flying in and out of Hobart.

We are both in our late 20's and leaving the kids at home with grandma so we are hoping to get outdoors and do some exploring and check out the natural wonders. (Not so much into chocolate Factories and breweries if you know what I mean)

Any suggestions would be great.

Prestige Leisure Tours
Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Sightseeing Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Food Tours
Wineglass Bay Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Tours Tasmania
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Around the island in 8 days

Hi Mike! Must sees (IMHO) are:

Cradle Mountain and surrounds (incl. Lake St Clair NP).

If you can stay there then I would suggest at least 2 nights at Cradle. The walks are fab and Sept weather should be fair...anyway wait 5 minutes and it'll change! Note: Cradle Mt is easier to get to from Launceston than Hbt so it may be that you do this mid-trip.

N/W i.e Stanley (The Nut) and the drive(s) thru this area incl. into Launceston (must see Cataract Gorge) & Tamar River.

N/E Bay of Fires NP incl. Binalong Bay area/St Helens coast drive down to Coles Bay & Freycinet Pen. Again, if you can, then stay either F or Coles Bay 2 nights to fully explore area- maybe a seaplane tour?? Or ATV 4 wheel quad bike? On foot?

You may want to head over and do a tour (self guided or accompanied) of Maria Island which is easy to get to from either Hbt or (if you stay there) Freycinet area. Totally unspoilt.

S/E Port Arthur,obviously inlc. Eaglehawk Neck.

Bruny Island. (& you could do a cruse from Hbt to Peppermint Bay which is down that way but $$ and the drive is nice regardless).

in Hbt mt Wellington and if you're in to it then try www.islandcyclestours.com.au where you can cycle down the Mt.

They supply all gear and drive you up there!

Strahan if you can get there but it's a dog of a drive! maytbe next time...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Around the island in 8 days

oh...sorry! my picture (to the left!) is of Binalong Bay near St helens...we were there (AGAIN) in February this year...BEAUTIFUL!

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,307 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Around the island in 8 days

I'd suggest a scenic flight from Hobart to Melaleuca in the South West Wilderness. There are no roads down there. You land on a dirt airstrip and go for a bit of a boat ride and hike as well. Wonderful experience.

www.airtasmania.com.au (click on Par Avion Tours)

We stayed at Freycinet Lodge and Cradle Mountain Chateau (in 2005) and loved both. If you don't stay at Cradle Mountain Chateau at least visit the Wilderness Gallery and shop. Great nature photography.

Tasmanian
Level Contributor
187 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Around the island in 8 days

Hi,

YOu shouldn't miss a couple of great days in the north east of Tassie, around Scottsdale and Bridport.

Platypus Park Country Retreat in Bridport is a great place to stay or Cottages on Charles in Scottsdale.

You can hike up Mt Stronach and take in the wonderful vista of the whole area. Just magic.

Or what about the Pyengana cheese factory and the St Columba falls walk.

You will be able to visit wineries in the Pipers river region too.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i12152-Much_nee…

Novato, California
Level Contributor
115 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Around the island in 8 days

We had just 7 days, so we flew into Hobart and out of Launceston. We enjoyed Hobart (Mt Wellington), Port Arthur, Freycinet (Wineglass Bay et al), Cradle Mountain, Launceston (Cataract Gorge)...next time we'll stay longer!

Novato, California
Level Contributor
115 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Around the island in 8 days

Loved all the little unexpected treats we hit driving, too...including Pyengana cheese factory that someone else mentioned.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
238 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Around the island in 8 days

Have a look at the www.discovertasmania.com.au/home/index.cfm…

They have a couple of specific headings on wildlife and nature itineraries. We spent about 6 days in Tasmania a few weeks ago and only did Hobart and the east coast up to Launceston, but I remember somewhere seeing a planned itinerary of a little over a week that went all the way around the island, starting and finishing in Hobart. I think that would be a pretty whirlwing trip and since you are fortunate enough to live relatively nearby you might want to take it more slowly. We defintely want to return!

sydney
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Around the island in 8 days

Hi yertle,

hoping you can help me as it sounds like you did the exact trip we are doing in Nov - flying into Launceston and then out of Hobart 8 days later. Did you have enough time to see evertyhing? What was your route?

thanks for any tips, sounds like there is so much to see its hard to know what to do and what to miss!

Laura

9. Re: Around the island in 8 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 pm, September 03, 2009