We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for interesting accommodation in July

Cairns
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Looking for interesting accommodation in July

My husband and I are planning a 14 day trip to Tasmania in July (our first) and we are looking for some "characterful" budget accommodation. We enjoy old country pubs, backpackers (but not dorms) caravan parks (especially onsite vans), quirky bit-shabby self-contained cottages - really anything that is more interesting than the "little boxes" kind of motel room. Any suggestions?

Cygnet, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Looking for interesting accommodation in July

Hi again Sue,

Quirky and shabby.. try the Derwent Bridge Cottages.. in July you might even get snow...

Freycinet Lodge .. not shabby but the views.. to die for..

We stayed in a cottage near Bicheno (from my bad memory) called "Alices Cottages" which were very quirky, all antiques and odd nick nacks.. even had a box of "rouge" with cosmetic still in it...

Just take it easy on the roads.. you get ice and snow at that time of the year!!

tasmania
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Looking for interesting accommodation in July

hi Sue, ive found it a good idea tolook up ninemsn pages and go to property, then rental, then holiday homes, and there are quite a few shacks and cottages, cheaper than you would get them normally, through real estate agents, often for 1 night or more and normally peoples shacks that they rent out we stayed in one in St Helens that was waterfront and gorgeous , will tryand find hte name, but another thing to do is look up the local rag (the Mercury)and in the back pages there is always a small list of holiday shacks for rent in various places along southern tassie and east coast, if you reply i will list some for you

Canberra
2 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Looking for interesting accommodation in July

we stayed at the sanctuary at Table Cape the 30/0407-01/05/07

I agree with oceanroses, the accomodation was Divine and the real Gem you don't often come across. We had a glorious first day there, watching a pod of dolphins on our very own private balconery 12metres by 5metres, when I looke at the photos taken of coastline reminds me of hawaii pics I have. The next day was alot rougher but still beautiful as you felt like what it would be like doing lighthouse duties - and reminded what this area must have been like in its convict past.

We didnt use the barbie- but if weather permits prepare to eat out on the deck I know you going in cooler weather but the view is aweson. we were short for time and made the best pancake in the kitchen which was great.

Host carmel and Rob fantastic,

Tasmanian
Level Contributor
187 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Looking for interesting accommodation in July

The little timber huts at Waldheim are very very basic but mostly comfortable. I think you need all your own sleeping gear still, (sleeping bag).

Coming to Tasmania in winter is an excellent choice for all the reasons you have list and enjoyed in Victoria.

It's not crowded, you will get to see the wilderness without 1000's of other people crowding around, you could be the only people walking along a great wind swept beach on the north or west coast, It's just magic being in places on your own without the crowds.

More people should think about visiting popular tourist routes in the off season to take advantage of the serenity of the great outdoors and the bargains to be had as well.

Some people pay thousands of dollars to get some peace and quiet, seclusion, but in Tasmania in winter it's around every corner.

If you go to the north east region take a walk to Cuckoo Falls just out of Scottsdale. Or venture up to Mt William National Park - now there's a place not many go in winter!

A great place to stay is Platypus Park Country Retreat in Bridport look up their website, www.platypuspark.com.au they have rooms from $90.

Another tip - you should visit the popular areas mid week not weekends, some of the locals go to those places at weekends, then they are crowded.

Hope it snows for you in the highland regions so you can appreciat how beautiful the cold and winter really is.

Good luck with your trip.

on tour
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Looking for interesting accommodation in July

Stay at the Bush Inn in New Norfolk. It is cheap, and basic, but best of all it is the oldest licensed in Australia built in 1825 and has loads of history. Dame Nelly Melba sang there, the first trunk call in the commonwealth was made there and so on. It IS a local pub, but great atmosphere log fires etc,nothing like it.

Bunbury, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Looking for interesting accommodation in July

Hi Sue,

My husband and i are planing to do the same trip next july(our first also) cant wait to read all about it when you return.

Have a great time and dont forget your thermols

cheers sue jamo

Launceston
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Looking for interesting accommodation in July

I am from Launceston & recently spent 3 days travelling 2 at Cradle mountain wildnerness village, nice, warmish, Waldheim looked cold but has such a lovely walk, the whole area is so special in winter but drive carefully please - beware black ice, we also stayed at tall timbers smithton, a bit exxy but good for myself & the three teenagers, (their father stayed home to look after our menagerie)

I should imagine that Marrawah Beach House or anything in that area would be great to stay.

There are great little walks every where parks & wildlife has a little brochure of short walks in Tasmania eg Alum Cliffs take @ 20 - 30 mins return and are free and great. Notley Fern gorge, penguins, the gorge in launceston. Liffey falls, all the northe east but have fun enjoy & just get on the internet.

Huon Bush Retreats are also magic.

regards Kim

(tassieeagle)

Tasmania
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: Looking for interesting accommodation in July

You should check out Huon Bush Retreats in the Huon Valley.

It's like your own little national park, and has some really cool little tipees, cabins and a campground and OUTDOOR Baths Yum!!

19. Re: Looking for interesting accommodation in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, September 15, 2009