We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather in May on west coast

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
weather in May on west coast

Travelling to Launceston in May for a week. Have already seen the centre and east coast. Any ideas for our trip. We are retired, any special car hire deals? thanks

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: weather in May on west coast

How many days will you have for your trip?

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: weather in May on west coast

How many days will you have in Launceston & will you be leaving from there to?

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: weather in May on west coast

Hi, we arrive and leave from Launceston and have a week to spend.I was thinking about going to Cradle mountain area and Stanley but wondering if it would be snowing and bad driving.Thanks for any help.

Tasmania
Level Contributor
81 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: weather in May on west coast

Quite possible to get snow in the Cradle Mountain park area at that time of year but it is an alpine area and a great place to sit around an open fire wathing the snow falling outside! You will find Launceston and North West Coast to be similar to Melbourne weather but a bit colder overnight

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: weather in May on west coast

Have thought of this rough drive plan for you, this is mainly to incorporate Stanley...it of course might be preferred in the reverse if you want to avoid the overnight in Hobart/long drive last. If wanting to avoid Hobart then not necessary to arrive in the city and would save 30 minutes. The road the cuts through from Lake St Clair to Launceston via the Lakes isn't the best road especialy for a hire car. The weather could be anything in May...the most rainfall is on the west coast but the snow could be late in the winter like more June or happen anytime from now. These times are for leisurely pace.

Launceston to Stanley is 2.5 hours

Stanley to Cradle Mountain is 2.5 hours

Cradle Mountain to Strahan 2 hours

Strahan to Lake St Clair 2 hours

Lake St Clair to Hobart 2 hours

Hobart to Launceston 2 hours

Cradle Mountain to just after Lake St Clair are the main areas where snow can occur to road level. If you decide not to travel to Stanley from Launceston to Cradle Mountain is around 2 hours.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: weather in May on west coast

You can also do a google search for road weather conditions and warnings leading up to depature to have up to date information.

Bemuda/Australia
Level Contributor
387 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: weather in May on west coast

I wouldnt worry too much about road conditions as long as you drive carefully. stanley -cradle mountain- strahan would be my route but the road from wynyard toward the south seemed farther then I expected....

the only thing I worry about is night driving most importantly just after dusk.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: weather in May on west coast

Hi Guys, Thanks for your help. I quess its impossible to know what the weather will be like especially if its anything like Melbourne. My husband is used to driving in snow but I am not keen. I think we will just take it as it comes and maybe follow your plan and if it looks too bad head back to Lauceston. Cheers

9. Re: weather in May on west coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, August 29, 2009