We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kangaroo Island with Toddler and Baby

New York
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Kangaroo Island with Toddler and Baby

My husband and I are heading to KI with our 3-year old and our 10-month old baby. We are flying from Sydney to Adelaide, driving to Cape Jervis, and taking the ferry all in one day. So, our first day on KI we probably won't do too much as we get to Penneshaw around 3pm. Can anyone recommend the best things to do/places to stay with young children? My toddler LOVES animals and the outdoors and they are generally good travelers given their ages. Here is what I am thinking.. but not sure what order to do it in as we don't want to spend too much time in the car:

MUST DOs:

*Flinders Chase (remarkables rocks, admirals arch, seals)

*Hanson Bay (Koalas and nocturnal tour)

Are we better off staying overnight in Hanson Bay or Flinders Chase?

**Is Paul's wildlife park or Pandana wildlife park better? I don't think we'll do both.. but not sure which one to do?

*Is the sand tobogganing doable with a toddler? Not sure Little Sahara is worth a trip if not possible to do sand dunes with a toddler?

*Is penguin tour a must do? No one seems to be writing anything about this, so thinking it isn't too great?

*I have heard the fur seals at Flinders Chase are very active and more entertaining then the ones at Seal Bay. Does this mean Seal Bay is not necessary? My son does love seals, so not sure if we should do both or just one?

*Has anyone done the dolphin swim with a toddler?

**OVERALL: I am totally confused when it comes to what order to do things in to minimize driving time and maximize what we see. If anyone can suggest a good itinerary considering we have the two boys, that would be great. For example, should we spend our first night in Penneshaw? Or should we drive for an hour or so and stay somewhere that will be nicer and we can see stuff in the morning?

Any advice would be great. I had no idea when booking that the island was so big and that there is SO much to see. We have 5 nights total… so 4 full days on the island (2 travel days)

THANK YOU!

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,854 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kangaroo Island with Toddler and Baby

We've been to KI on two separate occasions. On our first trip, our kids were aged 3 years and 6 months. One of our stops was at Seal Bay and I will agree that the Australian sea lions there are not as active as the New Zealand fur seals are at the Remarkable Rocks. But, my husband and I really enjoyed our time there and our toddler seemed to like it fine. (In our family, the kids sometimes have to endure what the parent want to do.) There is a whale skeleton at Seal Bay that the toddler will probably get a kick out of seeing.

We did not do sand tobagganing at LIttle Sahara, but I see no reason that a toddler couldn't do it, especially if a parent rode on the tobaggan with the child. We thought that Little Sahara was an amazing sight--I wouldn't miss it.

Another place you might want to go is to Kelly Hill Caves--kids usually love caves. Also, our kids enjoyed seeing the brown pelican feeding in Kingscote.

We did a dolphin swim in New Zealand with our kids when they were older. I don't know how the one on Kangaroo Island is run, but I can't imagine going in the water with a 3-year-old with the dolphins. We were out in very deep water (which I assume you will be too) and seeing the dolphins swimming around you could be quite frightening, even for a child that likes animals. Also, it was challenging enough for me to stay afloat--I can't imagine doing it with a toddler.

2. Re: Kangaroo Island with Toddler and Baby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 21, 2014