We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing or snorkeling Emu Bay

Minnesota
Level Contributor
46 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing or snorkeling Emu Bay

We will be staying at Searenity in Emu Bay the first week of March. Will it be warm enough to swim in the ocean? Just wondering if I should bring a swimsuit and snorkel.

Also, can you fish from the shore or jetty? Any info on what type of equipment would you need, what kinds of fish you can catch, and if you need a fishing license would be great!! My husband will be bringing some fly fishing gear for the New Zealand portion of our trip, and he is thinking about bringing his salt water pole as well.

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing or snorkeling Emu Bay

You can fish from the jetty with a handline or rod.. no license needed.

I do think though, given your husband's interest in the sport of fishing, that he might be better off booking a half or full day trip with a local charter... The best fish are caught in deeper waters... there are a number of operators and I think he'd have a memorable day if he went out for a fish with a local.

http://www.kangaroo-island-au.com/torym/

Another option is a night fishing expedition with Wallaby Bob... Bob has all the gear and fishes from a local beach not too far from Emu Bay (if you have a car.. otherwise he may even collect you depending on his availability..) wallabybobs.com.au/fishing_with_wallaby_bob.…

Have other suggestions if neither of these appeal but taking a tour would negate the need to bring all the gear .. and the locals know how to rig for the fish in our waters...

2. Re: Fishing or snorkeling Emu Bay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, March 27, 2013