We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to "Do" KA

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to "Do" KA

We're confused about Kangaroo Island, and thinking about skipping it because we don't know how to do it. But I really want to go there! First question: what's the best way to get there? We'll have a rental car from Sydney but it seems that any rental car from Sydney is not insured on KA. And if we pick up a new rental in Adelaide, it won't be insured on the ferry trip. Is this something to be concerned about? If we fly to KA, there are luggage restrictions and we'll likely have too much weight because we're spending a month in Australia. If we go across as ferry passengers, can we pick up a rental car at the ferry on KA? Second question: Is Kangaroo Island worth doing on your own? Is it possible to see lots of cool stuff without being part of a tour group?

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to "Do" KA

Hi

Don't know how long you want to spend on KI but maybe this is something for you: sealink.com.au/deluxe-tours/ki_plat_tour.html Great place to spend the night too.

O and btw, never skip KI.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to "Do" KA

Oops -- meant to say KI! Not KA! Thanks, I'll have a look.

Level Contributor
827 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to "Do" KA

Question 1: You can hire a car on Kangaroo Island, whether you travel by air or sea. It pays to arrange the hire well in advance.

Question 2: Kangaroo Island is *best* done on your own - in my opinion - and in every practical sense you need a car to do that.

As for your luggage - how much are you going to have ? And do you really want to carry that much around for a whole month ? And when are you travelling?

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to "Do" KA

The first thing I have to ask is "what are you really into?:"

Kangaroo Island's attractions lie in its remoteness, rugged coastlines, wildlife, fishing, bushwalking and unique animal interaction experiences. If that's the type of thing which interests you then you should definitely go.

If you are looking for tourists, nightlife and manufactured thrills you won't find them on the island.

"The only thing you need to consider the unsealed roads policy so you need a RAV 4, Kluger or larger 4wd Partol or Prado or similar.

My friend at Hertz recommends that if you can afford it, particularly if you drive the Great Ocean Road, that a larger 4wd will allow you to travel everywhere on KI and also, due to the height of the car and the low vegetation along the verge, you'll see a lot more.

A lot of internationals who are doing the driving trip in a smaller economical hire car (from a company which does not allow the car to go on the ferry) have chosen to leave their car at Cape Jervis, Ferry across and simply jump in their hire car waiting for them at the Ferry Terminal on the Island.. Hertz I know will definitely do this for clients.

Two days on the island and a good offroad car to explore in will definitely be something you'd remember.

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to "Do" KA

oh.. you can also leave some luggage in the airport lockers if you fly down to the island, you'd only need a small bag for a couple of days

Canada
Level Contributor
110 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to "Do" KA

@74Gremlin.

We are also heading to Kangaroo Island in a few months Our agent has booked us on a small group tour with this operator: exceptionalkangarooisland.com/kangaroo-islan…

I think a minimum 2 days trip is required. We would love to stay longer but have time contraint. Lots to see and do.

You can leave your luggage at the airport lockers and pack an overnight duffle for the KI portion of the trip. We are staying in at a hotel in Adelaide prior to and after KI, and the hotel is willing to have our luggage checked in their storage. Huge convenience there, perhaps this is something you can look in to.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to "Do" KA

Thanks beach_bb. We're staying in Adelaide before and after KI, so we'll look into the possibility of the hotel storing some of our luggage. Good idea!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
1,583 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to "Do" KA

Hi,

We stored our luggage in Adelaide Airport before heading to Kangaroo Island on Rex Airlines - we also hired a car from the airport on KI.

See my TR tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255055-i120-k3070…

9. Re: Best way to "Do" KA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, March 08, 2011