We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

platypus sightings?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
58 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
platypus sightings?

on the playtpus walk in Flinders National Park, does anyone ever see the playpus (platypi for plural???)? Wonder how likely we are to see them if we take that walk.

thanks.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,319 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: platypus sightings?

Hi Ive done the platypus walk a couple of times and never seen any. It is quite a short walk though.

Are you still planning to go to north Queensland - because most people i know have had much more luck spotting them up there on the Atherton Tableland - or another option is Warrawong Sanctuary just out of Adelaide if you have time. http://www.warrawong.com/

We are taking a trip to the Great Ocean Road next month and have high hopes of spotting them there!

Edited: 2:13 am, March 18, 2010
Sevenhill
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: platypus sightings?

I used to see them regularly on KI when I was a tour operator there, but had to get to the pool at dawn and be absolutely silent, I would have seen them about 1 in evey 3 attempts.

When we changed our itinerary and started going during the day we hardly ever saw them.

I have also heard that Atherton tablelands is a lot easier.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: platypus sightings?

Destinational poaching isn't kosher on the forums, so I'll stay silent on platypus locations.

Re the plural, my old mum - who was a bit of a pain about this stuff - said the plural was "platypods". This is what wikipedia says: "There is no universally agreed plural of "platypus" in the English language. Scientists generally use "platypuses" or simply "platypus". Colloquially the term "platypi" is also used for the plural, although this is technically incorrect and a form of pseudo-Latin; the correct Greek plural would be "platypodes" or "platypoda". "

Mum would love that!

Luigi

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
58 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: platypus sightings?

Great info on Atherlands - yes, we will be in that region and our itinerary is not quite so tight as it is in the south (not by entirely choice, subject to the whims of flight options). Very excited to look into that info about the up north Platypods (I'll go with mum!, & this nerd loves the grammar lesson). :)

We can always take the walk on KI just because, but at least we know we don't have to prioritize it.

Thanks all.

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,550 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: platypus sightings?

Take the walk, it's not too long.. but early morning and dusk are best times to sight a platypus

6. Re: platypus sightings?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, September 18, 2010