We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far in advance should I reserve on the Sealink Ferry?

San Diego
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Topic
How far in advance should I reserve on the Sealink Ferry?

I'm planning on taking my rental car (ThrifY) to KI on Thursday Dec 31, with a return on Jan 2. However, I haven't decided on a time yet. Does the ferry usually sell out in advance? Or do I have the option of waiting until the day of departure to book a place on the ferry?

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far in advance should I reserve on the Sealink Ferry?

We used the ferry off season and it was almost full. Make your reservations right now, if at all possible.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,226 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far in advance should I reserve on the Sealink Ferry?

This is the main Australian holiday season, and the Kangaroo Island Ferries also carry freight, book now. www.sealink.com.au

South Riding...
Level Contributor
50 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far in advance should I reserve on the Sealink Ferry?

Does your mainland car rental allow you to:

1. Take the car to Kangaroo Island?

2. Drive on the unpaved roads? Kangaroo Island has many many unpaved roads that are fun to explore

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,226 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How far in advance should I reserve on the Sealink Ferry?

Thrifty allow their rental cars to be taken on the Kangaroo Island Ferry, though the renter is financially responsible for any damage to the car whilst on the ferry. Thrifty cars may only be driven on bitumened roads.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How far in advance should I reserve on the Sealink Ferry?

In addition to Nurioopta's correct advices. You are allowed to drive the car to your accomodation even if it's on an unsealed but maintained road. Otherwise many motels/cabins etc. on KI and all over Australia would have been out of business. It's also allowed to drive short unsealed roads to National Parks etc. and detours on unsealed roads if the sealed highway is under construction etc. The Thrifty car has to be picked up in Adelaide for visiting Kangaroo Island. You are not allowed to pick up the car in let's say Melbourne, make a tour, visit KI and continue your itinerary.

Tet

San Diego
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: How far in advance should I reserve on the Sealink Ferry?

Thanks, I just booked, there were only a couple of timeslots available, and I had to settle for an early 7:30 am departure. However, I was very close to being stuck on the island for another night.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How far in advance should I reserve on the Sealink Ferry?

Congrats on your booking! Just another tip. There's a chance you have to drive your car on the ferry backwards. If you feel unsafe doing that you can ask staff to do it for you. Large cars like SUV's always have to drive backwards. The ferry is not "drive through". Have a great KI stay!

Tet

8. Re: How far in advance should I reserve on the Sealink Ferry?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 13, 2010