We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kangaroo Island in July

Williamsburg, VA
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kangaroo Island in July

Is July an OK time to visit Kangaroo Island? We've been in Melbourne and Philip Island at that time of year, and realize it can be damp and cold, but Kangaroo Island looks beautiful. Woudl we still see good wildlife, etc.? Thanks

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,293 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kangaroo Island in July

Im very reluctant to recommend KI in the winter months as it can get very bleak - and yes you may see wildlife but then again if its really cold wet and windy you may not.

Others will probably disagree and while I dont spend a lot of time on the island I do spend a lot of time on the mainland coast (read several weekends per year) only 20 miles away and that is my experience.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,643 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kangaroo Island in July

We've been to KI twice, the first time being a day trip in July. It wasn't wet, but it was a bit chilly. Nevertheless, we had a fabulous day. We saw sea lions, seals, kangaroos, emus, koalas, a wallaby and even an echidna! We went to Little Sahara and climbed a dune, toured Kelly Hill cave; and visited the Remarkable Rocks and Admiral's Arch (where it was windy).

I'd recommend going, especially since you know what kind of weather to expect. Just dress appropriately and enjoy the island!

Sevenhill
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Kangaroo Island in July

Kangaroo Island in the winter is beautiful, it is very green and you tend to see more wildlife, (during the summer months the wildlfie often rests in the shade during the heat, where it is active during the day in the winter).

Yes it is cold and windy and rugged but if you dress for this and find some nice accommodation with an open fire then it can be a great experience, you also have the chance of seeing whales.

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,550 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kangaroo Island in July

I have travelled to KI and, as OP's above have said.. yes it can be chilly but not necessarily rainy. The rugged south coast is still wonderful to see with the big rolling waves pounding in from Antarctica and if it's not rainy a bushwalk in Flinders Chase will still be lovely as it should be green down there. Another upside is that it's low season so book the best accom on the island ! If you suffer seasickness be aware that it can get quite choppy on the ferry crossing over Backstairs Passage if there is a big swell and an outgoing tide from the gulf. I would never say not to see KI in July.. i'd just book somewhere nice and cosy and allow at least three days just in case you strike a day which is inclement. Also.. be aware that some of the tourist operations could be closed in Winter, best to check ahead if there is anything specific you want to see. I find the weather as bad in November sometimes as anything I've seen in July :) but the great thing about SA is it's rarely bad for a long stretch at any time of year

UK
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kangaroo Island in July

Hi,

We were on Kangaroo Island in July this year and you're right - the weather was a bit iffy. Despite that, we class the couple of days we had there right towards the top of our list for the month we had in Oz.

The thing about the weather is that you wrap up warm to avoid the cold (it was about 7 degrees C), you take a waterproof jacket and sometimes you have to wait 20 minutes for a cloud to blow over so that you can avoid getting soaked and take some really good photos!

I don't know if you would miss out on the wonderful rough seas if you went at another time of year? They really are stunning - similar to Cornwall in the UK and very aggressive!

Cheers,

Martin

6. Re: Kangaroo Island in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:24 am, October 16, 2009