We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice - hotels on KI for November!

SWE78
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need advice - hotels on KI for November!

Hi,

I would very much appreciate some help on hotels for 4 nights on KI. We have plans to fly in from Adelaide, then rent a car. First night in Kingscote, second night Penneshaw, third night Vivonne Bay and then Flinders Chase.

Will this be a good route? Any idea on hotels in Vivonne Bay as I can't seem to locate any?

I'm greatful for all suggestions! :)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
495 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice - hotels on KI for November!

Vivonne By is a small town, hardly more than a village and I can't think of any hotels there at all.

There are numerous holiday homes and you could try the listings here:

stayz.com.au/accommodation/…vivonne-bay

or here stayz.com.au/accommodation/sa/kangaroo-island for the whole of the island.

Have you looked at the Island website:http://www.tourkangarooisland.com.au/ and

tourkangarooisland.com.au/accommodation/defa… for accommodation in the main towns.

I am not sure I would go to Penneshaw unless you particularly want to see something there. The penguin tour is good, but there is one at Kingscote and although it is a charming little town, there are many more attractions on the South/North coast and around the Flinders Chase area, as well as a few to look at in the centre.

Carmel, California
Level Contributor
3,522 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice - hotels on KI for November!

Seaview Lodge in Penneshaw was very nice (not to be confused with Seaview Motel in Kingscote).

We also enjoyed Hanson Bay cabins although they're fairly rustic. It's close to Flinders Chase and they have their own sanctuary where nocturnal walks are conducted as well as koala viewing.

I don't think you need to spend your nights in 4 different locations. I think 2 (one at each end of the island) is enough. Either Penneshaw or Kingscote for penguin viewing and then the west end of the island. Penneshaw is perhaps a bit more charming but I think either is fine depending on the timing of your flights.

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,550 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice - hotels on KI for November!

I spend a lot of time on Kangaroo Island and If I were you I'd spend two days around Emu Bay/Kingscote/Island Beach/American River then head down to stay at the KI Wilderness Lodge. Stop at Vivonne Bay on the way down as it is a lovely spot, do the Birds of Prey show at Hanson Bay and Seal bay if you want to see the sealions (although there are plenty of seals to see at Admirals Arch)

Spend the day drving and touring (dont miss the honey icecream at Cliffords) and arrive late in the afternoon at the Wilderness Lodge or even a cabin at the Western Caravan Park. Spend the next day exploring Remarkable Rocks and Flinders Chase (I can recommend, if you have time the Snake Lagoon walk down to a beautiful beach) Spend the night back at the lodge/cabin and then drive back to the Airport for your flight out.. (depending on scheduled times of course which I don't know) You can book two nights at Emu Bay etc for some holiday homes depending on season popularity but if you want hotels I would go for the new apartments in Kingscote through the Ozone Hotel. from there you can branch out and explore all the above areas at the Eastern end. There are no Hotels in Vivonne Bay. Hanson Bay is particularly beautiful, the cabins there are rustic but clean..certainly not four/five star. If you need more info pm me :)

4. Re: Need advice - hotels on KI for November!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 pm, October 11, 2009