We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Working visit to adelaide - what to see and whale watching?

Which Adelaide hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Working visit to adelaide - what to see and whale watching?

Greetings all antipodean experts!

I'm about to head off to adelaide for the first time for a few weeks for work and really want to make the most of my time out there even though I'll be going solo.

I'll be working during the day but want to make the most of my evenings and weekends so want to know how I can get the best out of my time there? I'm staying and working slap bang in the middle of the CBD if that helps.

Also I believe it's the right season to go see the southern right whales - does anyone have any tips or recommendations for a day trip to go see this? It's something I've always wanted to do so really don't want to miss any opportunity!

Tips and recommendations are gratefully received! Cheers,

Amy

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,662 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Working visit to adelaide - what to see and whale watching?

Hello Amy

lots to do in Adelaide - check out the 'things to do' link in the green bar at the top of this page

also - the link in the Top Questions to "Adelaide's secrets" .. though keep in mind that the TQs cant be seen/accessed if you are using a phone app - you need a PC or laptop for them

there is also a FAQ about Adelaide night life

for Whale Watching southaustralia.com/regions/…

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas, South Australia
Level Contributor
9,739 posts
1,332 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Working visit to adelaide - what to see and whale watching?

Where are you staying in the CBD?

There are many pubs, restaurants and bars to explore in the evening, as well as weekend markets

Throughout the year, there are a wide range of cultural presentations, including various festivals

And, in surrounding areas, a diverse wealth of experiences and sightseeing opportunities beckon

Bon voyage:)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,528 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Working visit to adelaide - what to see and whale watching?

The whales are around Victor Harbor from early June until around mid September. You can take a day tour or drive yourself. Bashams Beach , Kings Beach and Middleton are the best places IME but go to the Whale Centre in Victor Harbor for the most up to date advice. www.sawhalecentre.com/whale_watching.html

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
677 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Working visit to adelaide - what to see and whale watching?

Hey again Amyce24! The Big Duck Boat Tours operate tours from the Causeway at Victor Harbor.

http://www.thebigduck.com.au/

I haven't done this but the reviews on TA read well. (Though no guarantee of Whales!) VH is about 60 mins drive South of Adelaide.

Mon/Tue/Wed fairly quiet in the city but you should find plenty to keep you up late on Thu/Fri/Sat. (Sunday nights are popular at the 'Grand Bar' at the Stamford at Glenelg, just catch the Tram, it stops right out the front of the pub). Try some of the bars in Peel and Leigh Street or Rundle Street East. (European style Clubs include Fumo Blu and Distil). If you're into wine there are plenty of options. For that length of stay when you check in at your hotel ask is it possible for a complimentary room upgrade.

Hopefully the people you'll be working with can show you the ropes...if not let us know if you need assistance! Cheers!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,548 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Working visit to adelaide - what to see and whale watching?

>>>For that length of stay when you check in at your hotel ask is it possible for a complimentary room upgrade<<<

There's a high likelihood that it is a company organised corporate booking, but it's good thinking.

However, if on the chance it's not, the OP is technically better off trying to negotiate a lower long stay rate, rather than seek a better room - particularly if they are out all day, out frequently for dinner, and out all weekend. Even more applicable if an apartment is already booked.

6. Re: Working visit to adelaide - what to see and whale watching?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, July 29, 2015