We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental cars on Kangaroo Island Ferry

Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
231 posts
249 reviews
Save Topic
Rental cars on Kangaroo Island Ferry

We would like to rent a car at the Adelaide airport then take it on the Kangaroo Island ferry. I'm learning that not all car rental companies let yo do this, but the only place I have seen the mention of the names of the companies that will let you do this was on Trip Advisor 3 years ago. Those posts said that Budget and Thrifty are the only ones who allow it. Is this still true and if so, are there any restrictions?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,621 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental cars on Kangaroo Island Ferry

You need to check this directly with the car rental firms. Times & conditions change.

It may not be addressed in their standard Terms & Conditions and if not, email them & get a ruling.

Edited: 6:42 pm, April 10, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,358 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental cars on Kangaroo Island Ferry

Hertz and Budget have car rental on the Island.

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental cars on Kangaroo Island Ferry

My understanding of this is most companies allow it, however all bets are off (with regard to insurance) getting on and off the ferry and also during transit

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,639 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental cars on Kangaroo Island Ferry

I've looked into this as well and have concluded that it's best to hire on the Island. Many times when I've rented cars around Australia they specify you cannot take cars onto ferries or punts.

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental cars on Kangaroo Island Ferry

Further investigation reveals, Thrifty, Hertz and Redspot allow their vehicles to be taken on the ferry to KI

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,599 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental cars on Kangaroo Island Ferry

Yes Thrifty and Hertz allow it. (didn't realise RedSpot did though!) If time is short you can also consider flying down from Adelaide and pick up a car from the kingscote airport..

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
16 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental cars on Kangaroo Island Ferry

Hi Ianamom, sorry for leveraging this topic. I am also considering exactly the same thing (landing at Adelaide airport and pick up the car there then head out to Cape Jervis to go to Kangaroo island and getting back to the airport - short trip 2/3 days only). I plan to do this at the end of July. Could you share your findings please? Which car rental company is the best one to go with? Many many thanks beforehand

Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
231 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental cars on Kangaroo Island Ferry

Our plans changed and I had to reduce the time we're spending on Kangaroo Island so we decided to fly there instead of take the ferry. But even before that I was still leaning toward flying since I could not really figure out which car rental company was O.K. with taking your car on the ferry. Sorry about that.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
82 posts
341 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental cars on Kangaroo Island Ferry

Hi Saut, I was there in March 2014. In Adelaide, we rented East Coast car rental for 5 days and Hertz for our 2 days in Kangaroo Island. There are only 2 car rentals available on the island which is Hertz and Budget. 2 days in KI was too rush for us as the island is huge, which was out of our expectation. 3 days in KI will be sufficient. We had a good experience with the two car rentals especially with their hospitality and superb mpv/car conditions (latest model).

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
16 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental cars on Kangaroo Island Ferry

Hi Dorothy, thanks a lot for the info. Out of curiosity , why not continue with East Coast rental car to KI? We are trying to ask various car rental companies in Adelaide on whether they allow us to bring their cars to KI. We are still waiting for their replies.

@Ianamom, thanks a lot for the info