We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to pack for mid May in Adelaide

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to pack for mid May in Adelaide

We will be in Adelaide in Mid May for the very first time. What generally should we expect to wear--long sleeves/ sweaters/ jackets for night? If attending theatre/dinner at night, what attire? Thanks

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,872 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to pack for mid May in Adelaide

Raincoat, umbrella, fleeces, long pants, closed shoes.

Docklands Melbourne
Level Contributor
144 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to pack for mid May in Adelaide

Seriously, I think your own Canadian dress standards would apply here.

It is cold that time of year......so warm clothes yes....

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas, South Australia
Level Contributor
10,079 posts
1,343 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to pack for mid May in Adelaide

Generally, dress standards would be akin to those in Canada- formality of the attire would depend on the occasion, but generally casual

As to climate, here are the averages:

Day temperature: 19C

Night temperature: 10C

Rain days: 9

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to pack for mid May in Adelaide

If you are from Canada, then im sure it wont be cold for you. The rains normally start at end of april, and continue on in may...its quite easy to predict the rain from moon stages, but I wont go into that here. Slacks and good walking shoes with a couple of layers and a thin jumper/ sweater is ok for day time...and in may there can be heavy downpours, so perhaps a full length rain coat, or if you are in a car then just a jacket. Bring a folding umberella each. There could be strong winds, more so if out in the country so a beanie or scarf on head is useful. If you go up to the hills go in the morning as by 3pm it is very chilly up there, but the autumn leaves look pretty especially in the mt lofty botanic garden, I always go there in may. Jeans are ok for day time, or stretch easy to wear trousers.

For evening a nice blouse, and skirt or dress trousers, and theatre perhaps a long

skirt, and warm shawl. For men a casual dinner jacket and long sleeve shirt is fine,

pop in tie in case needed...adelaide people dont dress up much as they do in other cities. The days will be sunnier and warmer in the morning till after lunch and then the weather can change and be cloudy and showers....but its not the middle of winter and compared to where you come from you may feel like swimming!

hope you like our town ♡

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,872 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to pack for mid May in Adelaide

<<<but its not the middle of winter and compared to where you come from you may feel like swimming! >>>>

Ummm - we had friends from Ontario come to stay with us one November and they FROZE. They weren't expecting the cold and biting winds that we have here. So never assume Magpiegirl.

And it does get warm in Ontario in summer and that's when people there go swimming!!

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What to pack for mid May in Adelaide

Thank you all for your replies. It is difficult to translate "cold" when dealing with different hemispheres: for us 19C is really quite warm--not mid summer warm, but early autumn warm. The night-time temperatures in the 13-16F range are getting cool, though probably not "cold" for us. I think it best to prepare for layering in the daytime, with some long sleeved tops, sweaters, a fleece etc. and some rain gear. What about jeans--are they acceptable for daytime? I will assume "smart casual for evening, bringing a sports jacket and trousers for my husband, a shawl or light jacket for myself.

We are leaving Canada towards the end of April and I think I assumed that the weather I would encounter in Australia would be more similar to our late summer weather; because of your warmer climate but I am now thinking that it will more approximate our mid autumn --October weather--

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,872 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to pack for mid May in Adelaide

Yes I think October is probably it. In fact we stayed with our friends in mid September in Westport Ontario and the temperature there then was similar to what it would've been here. So apart from the very extremes of hot and cold I think the mid seasons are quite similar.

Yes jeans are fine just about anywhere in aus - probably except for very upmarket restaurants.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to pack for mid May in Adelaide

Yes jeans are ok to wear in the day time but I dont find them very warm. I never take jeans when I travel as they are quite heavy, and take ages to dry if you need to wash them. I like a stretchy fabric that look like slacks but they stretch and are comfortable all day to travel in flying or car, and roll up in your case very small.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,872 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to pack for mid May in Adelaide

Yes on that I agree with magpie girl. We travel a lot and in fact now I don't even own a pair of denim jeans for the reasons stated above.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to pack for mid May in Adelaide

Tomorrow is the first day of april and the forcast....36degrees celsius!!! Is this an april fools day joke? .the weather has gone crazy. Who knows what to expect in a month or so. But im still going with rain in mid may, especially after the second quater moon.