We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine Country Tours from Adelaide

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
43,311 posts
1,294 reviews
Save Topic
Wine Country Tours from Adelaide

We are just beginning to start trying to plan another trip to the Australia Wine Country. We did the Hunter Valley, out of Sydney, last July, and would likely fly from the US to Sydney, in July, 2014. After we finish up things that we missed over 10 days last year, we hope to explore the SE Australia Wine Country, probably flying into Adelaide, and basing ourselves there for about 5 days. We are not set on being IN Adelaide, but will fly into the city, and then travel to a hotel near Adelaide, with intentions of exploring the Wine Country from that location.

I am looking at several Relais & Chateaux properties in the Adelaide area, and am hoping to get recommendations on where we should think of basing our travels. The properties do not have to be Relais & Chateaux properties, but we have stayed at many, around the globe, and enjoyed them greatly.

Our prime focus will be on the wines of the region, and we are also interested in gathering info on serious wine tours, around the region. We are more interested in doing private tours, rather than buses filled with people, who are looking more to party, than serious wine tastings, and exploration. In Burgundy, last May, we booked with Authentica Tours, and had a week of very good, and personalized tours of the region. All that I am finding are very general tours, with companies such as Greyline, with crowds in a bus. We got the rec. for Authentica Tours from TA, and were so very pleased. Hoping to find similar in SE Australia.

I am certain that I am missing some great Web sites, for what we are looking for, and am interested in gathering good resources for the wine tasting trip.

Any comments, help, or directions to resources would be greatly appreciated,

Hunt

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
43,311 posts
1,294 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wine Country Tours from Adelaide

Just found this link, thanks to the Adelaide posters: http://www.adelaidesightseeing.com.au/

Looks like a start.

Thanks to TA,

Hunt

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,872 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wine Country Tours from Adelaide

Bill which are the properties you are looking at? There are 4 wine regions within striking distance of the city - so I'm not sure which region(s) you are specifically referring to.

Barossa Daimler Tours, Barossa Experience Tours, Barossa Getaway tours all provide small group or private tours in the Barossa. The other regions will probably be better as a self drive.

The South Australian Wine Centre in the city is currently undergoing a revamp and depending on when you intend to be here - will be well worth a visit.

Magill Estate Winery - home of Penfolds Grange is also well worth visiting.

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, Las Vegas, South Australia
Level Contributor
10,079 posts
1,343 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wine Country Tours from Adelaide

Greetings

1. Adelaide has several major wine regions nearby-

a. Barossa

b. Adelaide Hills

c. Clare

d. McLaren Vale

Further afield are the Coonawarra and Limestone Coast regions, as well as several other smaller producing areas

2. With 5 days available, I would recommend you focus on Barossa, Adelaide Hills and/or McLaren Vale

Also, it is worth considering a visit to the near city Magill Estate, home of Grange, where you can do a comprehensive tour and tasting

Here's their website:

penfolds.com/en/…Magill-Estate.aspx

Also, they have an excellent fine dining restaurant at this site

3. It would be worth considering staying in the Barossa for a couple of days- the best accommodation in the area is at the Louise- here's their website, which also gives details of private tour opportunities:

http://www.thelouise.com.au

4. For the remainder of your time, if any, you could maybe take a day trip to Adelaide Hills and/ or McLaren Vale

Here is the link to the official Government tourism website:

southaustralia.com/food-and-wine/food-wine-t…

There are several B&Bs in each region which provide attractive accommodation and hospitality

Bon voyage!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wine Country Tours from Adelaide

There are many others that do smaller more intimate tours...but for these contacts you would have to contact the tourist offices in the areas already mentioned, send them and email and ask for private tours operators they know of.

You cant really base your self in one area as the hills, barossa and maclaren vale are at complete opposites east, north and south respectively and ..would be best to go around in a circle. I would suggest after your arrival to head up to the barossa and stay there with a private tour of barossa wineries, and then go up to clare valley towns and wineries the next day. Your tour guide could make it back to the barossa that evening for a second night at same accomodation......for a completely different climate wines I would spend the next 3 days going down to the coonawarra wine region, not only for the different wines bit because it is a change of scene and you would see some beautiful country....enjoy your visit to sensational SOUTH AUSTRALIA, ♡

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
43,311 posts
1,294 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wine Country Tours from Adelaide

Fantastic recommendations, all, and exactly what I was looking for.

While I have poured over many maps of the AVA's, it can be difficult putting distances together. We are very familiar with a lot of the wine regions in the US, and especially California, however, on our first trip to Burgundy, I was amazed at how close everything really was. In the Côte du Beaune, I could stand at a small cross-roads, and had four famous AVA's, almost within arm's reach. The Côte du Nuit was not spread out much more. While Napa is fairly compact, the Côte du Beaune was tiny, and jam packed. It looked much larger, and more spread out on all of my maps. Again, checking the maps, and trying to do the actual math, Barossa, McClaren Vale and Adelaide Hills seemed closer, than they actually are.

The direction and suggestions offered have put the distances (and time) into better perspective for me.

Right now, we are looking at perhaps late July for the trip. Winter in the Hunter Valley was a great time - fewer tourists, and each producer had a bit more time to dedicate to our little group. The only downside for us was that about half the tour (18 people) were not really into wine, but just wanted a day-trip out of Sydney, and the other half was just looking for an excuse to drink a bunch of "free wine." Still, a lovely day in the country, with some very friendly wine makers, eager to show off their love - their wines.

We are familiar with many wines from the region, but as we mostly encounter the wines through export to the US, the UK and Europe, we know that there is so much, that we never see, but only read of. When we were in Sydney, I turned every sommelier loose to pair our meals ONLY with the wines of OZ, TAS or NZ - nothing from the US, IT, GR or FR. Most took up the gauntlet and excelled at it, having as much fun, as we did. Also, we did the Wine Odyssey in Sydney, to explore the wines of OZ even more.

Magill was on my list, as we love big Shiraz, and I've managed to snag several bottles of Grange and the Penfolds Yatarna Chard, over the years. Knowing that they are so close to Adelaide is a positive, and I was unaware of their dining options.

All of the links, and info, give me a great start. I will also try to map out a route, and properties in each area, to define the trip better. Only regret on the Burgundy trip, was that I based us at a lovely abbey for the entire trip. While somewhat close to many areas, I wish that I had broken up out stay into smaller portions, moving, say to the city of Beaune for a few, and maybe Dijon for a few more. Luckily, our guide knew every backroad (and there were many), so we almost never traveled the same route over the week - still, there was a bit more travel, from the Abbaye de Bussiere, to the vineyards. I could live with that in Australia, but would like to do better, and tighten things up a bit, moving closer to each area.

I cannot thank everyone enough, and am sure that I will have many more, and more specific questions, as time draws near.

Thanks,

Hunt

Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,079 posts
1,343 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wine Country Tours from Adelaide

langtons.com.au/Wine/ClassificationView.aspx

Here is the link to the Langton's list of the leading Australian wines, which may assist in identifying wineries which would be interesting to visit

Edited: 7:53 pm, March 20, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,079 posts
1,343 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wine Country Tours from Adelaide

And, if you do decide to visit Clare (about a 2 hour drive), here's some suggestions:

1. Accommodation:

Martindale Hall http://www.martindalehall.com - this was the location for the interiors of the Peter Weir movie Picnic at Hanging Rock

2. Dining:

Artisan's Table

3. Wineries:

Wendouree, Geoffrey Grosset, Taylors

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wine Country Tours from Adelaide

<<I turned every sommelier loose to pair our meals ONLY with the wines of OZ, TAS or NZ>>

Just a random comment, assuming TAS means Tasmania, that is a state in Australia (Oz), not a separate country! Despite what many Australians like to believe :)

I'm not a wine connoisseur, but I know what you mean about the "day trip out of Sydney" phenomenon with regards to the Hunter Valley tours, as I've seen plenty of large buses on my own self-drive tours around the Hunter. Hopefully this will be less of an issue in Adelaide due to smaller numbers of international tourists (I didn't see any bus tours at all in my one visit to McLaren Vale). If you are also going to Melbourne, I've heard it's something to watch out for there.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wine Country Tours from Adelaide

Hi Hunt:

From your posts, I gather you are a wine buff and as such you would possibly be more interested in tasting rather than drinking. If that's the case, have you considered renting a car and doing your own tour of the wineries? If you 'taste and spit' you'll be perfectly safe to drive and you will have the flexibility to visit wineries that interest you and stay at each for as long or short a time as you like. Unless you do a personalized private tour, any group tour is going to put you at the mercy of the tour operator in terms of wineries visited and schedule. On all our visits to the wine regions we have never failed to stumble across a new and interesting boutique winery that wasn't on our radar at the start of the day. You will also have the freedom to do some research and stop for lunch at a place of your choosing.

Personally, I hate being bundled on and off buses and being told how long I can stay in one place. Just a thought.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
43,311 posts
1,294 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wine Country Tours from Adelaide

<<Just a random comment, assuming TAS means Tasmania, that is a state in Australia (Oz), not a separate country! Despite what many Australians like to believe :)>>

You are spot-on correct. When I did the abbreviations, Google was not as exact, as they should have been. Tasmania it is, and in the US, none of the wines from OZ were from that state/island - but in Sydney, there was a distinction made - some very good (maybe not as great as South Australia, or some areas of NZ, but still very good) were from Tasmania. I mean, who in the US knew? [Grin]

Thank you for that clarification, as it is an important one.

Hunt