We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Houseboat - where to hire from (SA or VIC)?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Houseboat - where to hire from (SA or VIC)?

Hi

It will be our very first experience on a houseboat and my husband and I will be travelling with our 3 little ones (5 and under). Whilst we look forward to the tranquility of the river, we also want to ensure there are places for us to stop a couple of times a day for our little ones onshore (maybe for food or sightseeing). We are planning to spend 3-4 days on the river in May 2014 and need advice on where should we hire the houseboat from, ie our starting point, and where we should head towards. We would appreciate any advice on which companies to hire from. We are looking for mid to luxury boathouses and our two main concerns are child friendly and safety.

Thank you!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Houseboat - where to hire from (SA or VIC)?

There is no way I would take young children under school age on a houseboat. Children have drowned in the murray just standing on the edge and falling in., while camping. However if thats your choice, you can catch the train up to echuca and go on some short boat trips on the river. Houseboats are generally for large groups of adults or families...they are not ideally a childrens holiday...kids would be bored after a few hours. There are also problems driving the boats if you get stuck on a snag- which is a sunken tree or log.

Anyway thats my advice australia has so much more to offer young children.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Houseboat - where to hire from (SA or VIC)?

we take our young children on a houseboat quite often they love it we go from Kia Marina out of Mannum

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,572 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Houseboat - where to hire from (SA or VIC)?

There are simple rules for children on a houseboat .. if they can't swim they aren't outside without a lifejacket on. The doors of the houseboat can be locked and the houseboats generally have childproof barriers so kids can't climb up or fall overboard. If your children are well disciplined and you are able to keep watch on them I don't think there's need to panic. Just be aware of the risks. There are not really any "creatures" to bother about in the water...yes.. there are fish and snakes but they are more scared of people and stay away in any case. I always suggest hiring from Mannum or further upriver. My favourite place to hire is upstream from Blanchetown but that's because there are generally less boats up that way.

I haven't seen the river at Echuca but I'm pretty sure that the waterway is wider from the SA border as it heads south, there's a reason why so many houseboat hire operators are in South Australia and less over the border. Houseboats are easy to drive and a wonderful family holiday. Many South Australian familes with children of all ages have grown up/around/on the Murray river. Catastophes generally only occur when common sense is absent.

14. Re: Houseboat - where to hire from (SA or VIC)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, August 28, 2015