We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adelaide to Alice springs

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Adelaide to Alice springs

Hi folks

Me and my other half are doing a weeks campervan hire from adelaide and plan to head to Alice springs and back In the week if possible? Does anyone have any tips what not to miss on the road. Can we park up anywhere for the night?

I love the idea of swimming in the wild is there anywhere that it is safe to do so on the way?

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
3,033 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adelaide to Alice springs

Once you leave Port Augusta there is no surface water anywhere suitable to swim in.

You will need at least 3 days to drive there and ditto to come back and that does not leave you much time to see anything on the way. Is it worth it to do this trip in such a short time?

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adelaide to Alice springs

Really I was checking google maps and we thought about two days if we done six hours each one day? But is that still pushing it?

Is there anywhere before port Augusta?

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,328 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adelaide to Alice springs

Unfortunately you do not say where you are from.

Google maps days it is 16 hour drive but that does not include stops. I presume you mean that each person is going to drive for 6 hours each day. I would not drive after dark as you have to consider Kangaroos, Emus, Cattle etc. are likely to be on or near the road. Hit one of those and it will cause heavy damage to your car.Once you leave Port Augusta vey little of the road is fenced.

The water bodies you see on Google maps are, most of the time, dry salt lakes.

There is nowhere before Port Augusta for swimming in the wild but, closer to Adelaide, there are some beaches where you are near the sea.

Edited: 5:11 am, February 20, 2014
Mentioned in this post
Adelaide
Adelaide
Greater Adelaide, Australia
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adelaide to Alice springs

Sorry I'm from scotland yeah the two of us were going to do one daytotal driving or at least all daylight with some short stops for photos and such.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,328 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adelaide to Alice springs

My advice stands. soon after you leave Port Augusta you will be in a in a desert environment. Depending on the time of year it could be very hot (Summer) or cold at night (Winter).

The most dangerous time for wildlife is around dawn and dusk but you need to be on the lookout all the time.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Adelaide to Alice springs

Thanks is there any stops to do I've heard the salt lakes are worth a look and flinders range?

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
3,033 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Adelaide to Alice springs

OK the distance is 1530 or thereabouts depending where you start from. Keeping to the legal speed limits and don't forget you have several towns to drive through, slow semi trailers on sections so you cannot overtake easily, some bends you have to slow down on I would allow 17 hours non stop. Add on food stops, fuel stops and it is strongly recommended by the motor authorities that you take a break every 2 hours, your time is going to be closer to 21 or so then there are stops you want to make along the way.

To go via the Flinders Ranges which is a picturesque route around the Flinders, will eventually bring you to Marree then the Oodnadatta Track, and you join the Stuart Highway at Marla. From Marree it is unsealed and remote. A good route to take in a suitable vehicle at the right time of the year.

Places to stop. Leave the Stuart highway at Pimba and detour into Woomera and there is accommodation at either the caravan park or ELDO Lodge. There is also a display in the park of many of the rockets and pilotless aircraft tested here.

The highway does go near several lakes, and there is a hill past Pimba near one of the lakes which gives you good view over the gibber plains.

Coober Pedy opal mining and underground buildings including 2 churches. At one time the local supermarket would also sell dynamite.

Kulgera, have a look around, some interesting places nearby but you will not have time for them

Depending on when you are travelling there may be wildflowers out, The region has just received some good rainfalls so around August the flowers may be out.

Several picturesque river crossings McHugh River probably the best. Very unlikely to be any water flowing though.

Remember that there are not many fuel or food stops along the way and bring drinking water with you.

Alice Springs...
Destination Expert
for Alice Springs, Kings Canyon, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Red Centre, Northern Territory
Level Contributor
763 posts
1,946 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Adelaide to Alice springs

HI Kris B,

WE HAVE DRIVEN THIS ROAD MANY TIME, OVER THE YEARS.

There is no way you can seriously consider driving to Alice Spring and back to Adelaide in the time you mention safely, or to see the sights along the way.

Either re think your time frame, or be prepared to miss out on all the sites.

I know it is difficult, with time constraints - and I hear it ALL the time, believe me, but it not worth the risk.

Unfortunately, my wife and I did have some friends who did not make it!

P.S.

LsBob could have mentioned the breakaways just outside of Coober Pedy as they are fascinating at dusk with great photo opportunities, but he has done such a great job with the rest of his post!

Mentioned in this post
Adelaide
Adelaide
Glenelg, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Adelaide to Alice springs

We did 15 days from Adelaide to Alice through to Kings Canyon, Uluru and back to Adelaide by car. We spent a few days in Alice exploring the MacDonell Ranges but even so, it was a tight trip. A campervan is much slower. Adelaide to Coober Pedy was an incredibly long day (11 hours from memory with a longish stop at Woomera) but then a couple of short stints to Alice. Alice to KC in one day, KC to Uluru in a day, back to Coober in a day and then back to Adelaide. Of course, we had time in the towns to relax and sightsee. Strict 1 hour rota on driving between two of us. Hope this gives some perspective on the distance.

Mentioned in this post
Adelaide
Adelaide
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Adelaide to Alice springs

You dont say what you want to go to the Alice for? If you both did all that driving you would have no time to see anything and have to turn around and come back again. What a waste of a week! I so had a chuckle when i read the part about having a swim somewhere...why not fly adelaide to the alice and hire a car and go travelling around town and to Uluru kings canyon.Uluru is a full day drive and then a day sightseeing at minimum.

please dont drive at night or at dusk in the Australian outback...the road belongs to the trucks....go then and you will hit a roo or a truck. You need to do a bit more reading.

Oh..to reply to the pull up anywhere....there is a great free camps book out...gives you all the spots and facilities to stop....in south australia they wont mind, but in other states such as queensland the cops will move you on if you are not in a designated campspot, and you can get fined.