G'day to all
I'm planning a trip to Adelaide March this year, from 6th - 16th Mar. We will be staying in Granada Motor Inn, Portrush Road.
Will be spending the first 5 days in Adelaide before going off to Melbourne for a few days and return to Adelaide for our flight home. As we will be arriving on a red eye flight, will be taking the first day easy.
This is the itinerary I have planned :
Day 1 : 6th Mar (Thurs) – Adelaide City
ETA around 10am. Go to hotel and try to check-in, otherwise just drop our luggage. I assume the most convenient transport will be by taxi. How much will the fare be?
Rest of the day itinerary :
Stop by Visitor Info Centre @ Rundle Mall
Victoria Square, St Francis Xavier's Cathedral, Victoria Square Arcade
Central Market, Chinatown, Gouger St & Grote St
Day 2 : 7th Mar (Fri) – Adelaide City
Parliament House & try to go for the 2pm free tour
Colonel Light's vision statue @ Montefiore Hill or Botanical Garden
Day 3 : 8th Mar (Sat) – Clare Valley
Pick up car in town & drive to Clare Valley
Classic Jets Fighter Museum
Visit CWA Market in Auburn if still early
Sevenhill Cellars, Martindale Hall, Inchiquin Lake Reserve (if it's still early)
Day 4 : 9th Mar (Sun) – Adelaide Hills
National Motor Museum, Melba's Chocolate Factory
Hahndorf – Main Street where Adelaide Fringe Fest is taking place, Beerenberg Strawberry Farm, Misty Hollow Fantasy Cave
Mt Lofty Summit – for sunset and view of the city
Day 5 : 10th Mar (Mon) – Glenelg
Glenelg Pier & Beach, explore Jetty Road. Shopping in Harbour Town
Day 6 : 11th Mar (Tues) – Drive to Melbourne via GOR
Start the day early around 6.30am. Stop in Mount Gambier to visit Blue Lake & Umpherston Sinkhole if time permits. Aim to reach Melbourne latest by 7pm.
Any suggestion for a quick stopover for breakfast on the way?
Day 7 : 12th Mar (Wed) to Day 9 : 14th Mar (Fri) – Melbourne
Day 10 : 15th Mar (Sat) : Drive to Adelaide via GOR
Start the day early around 6.30am from Geelong. Sights to see :
• GOR Memorial Arch
• Gibson Steps
• 12 Apostles – a must
• Loch Ard Gorge
• The Arch
• London Bridge
• The Grotto
A few questions :
1. D1 & D2 - from our hotel, am I right to take bus 144 to North Terrace?
2. Does one need to book for the Parliament House tour?
3. Which attraction is better & of interest to a tourist like myself to visit – Captain Light statue @ Montefiore or Botanical Garden?
4. For Mt Lofty, is it better to go during the day or for sunset?
5. For our day in Glenelg, any attractions that we must visit or eateries we should try?
6. For the GOR trip, understand that we will be spending most of our time on the road and not much time for the attractions. Which is why I am very focus on the sights/attractions that I want to see for this trip. Still, will I have enough time to cover those sights for the 2 days?
7. Is the itinerary too hectic or too relaxed? Does the itinerary make sense travelling from one destination to another? Am I missing some must see/do?
Thanks for taking the time to read my long post & thanks in advance for your replies.