We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Gambier vs Coober Pedy -Opal mines

Which Adelaide hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Mount Gambier vs Coober Pedy –Opal mines

Hi All,

I am wondering if it is worth the trip down to either of the above mentioned places? I understand the drive to Mount Gambier is 4 hrs..or so...and Coober Pedy is about 8 hrs from Adelaide CBD. I am visiting Adelaide for a period of 7 days in November and I am hiring a car for 2 days. I will be staying in Hindley street for the 7 days, thus I have no intention to stay over at Mount Gambier or Coober Pedy.

It's my first trip to Adelaide, and I would appreciate some good advice if it is a must do when in Adelaide itinerary.

Thanks!

Oz
Level Contributor
11,685 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mount Gambier vs Coober Pedy –Opal mines

Hi,

Coober Pedy is unique but you would be crazy and dangerous to yourself/others and the wildlife to drive all the way from Adelaide and not spend the night.

Mt Gambier is achievable in a day trip.

What are your interests and what's on your bucket list?

Cheers,

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,791 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mount Gambier vs Coober Pedy –Opal mines

A 16 hour return trip to Coober Pedy, see the mines and other points of interest both their and on the way, no overnight. It is an absurd thing to attempt. A major part of the trip is driving through desert terrain on single carriage way roads than can be infested with Kangaroos. It is likely that you will hit one damage the car and that you will go to sleep behind the wheel and kill yourself and some other innocent travellers.

An 8 hour return trip to Mt Gambier, see the sites their and along the way ( there is a lot to see) almost absurd with the same results. If you want to do either of these trips please use your common sense and stay over night.

There is a lot to see in easy day trips from Adelaide. The Barossa and Southern Vales, the Mt Lofty Ranges including the Clealand Wildlife reserve, Victor Harbour and surrounds, The Yorke Peninsula, Murray Bridge and the River Murray to name a few.,

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mount Gambier vs Coober Pedy –Opal mines

>>I understand the drive to Mount Gambier is 4 hrs..or so...and Coober Pedy is about 8 hrs from Adelaide CBD. I am visiting Adelaide for a period of 7 days in November and I am hiring a car for 2 days. I will be staying in Hindley street for the 7 days, thus I have no intention to stay over at Mount Gambier or Coober Pedy<<

A 16+ hour day trip to do what, get out of the car and take a photo and get back in the car and start driving back? It's a 16 hour return trip! Even Mount Gambier at 8 hours is questionable IMO, you would need to be very keen for specific reasons to undertake such a trip, not merely an idle whim to seek out some so-called must do. The real must do is to plan your road trips sensibly and safely! I completely agree with the above replies, what you are asking about is crazy, dangerous and absurd!

Surfers Paradise...
Destination Expert
for Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Byron Bay
Level Contributor
6,005 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mount Gambier vs Coober Pedy –Opal mines

I went for a nice drive from Adelaide CBD, to Cape Jervis for a look, then Victor Harbour for lunch, few beers at the pub and a walk around Granite Island. Took all day. So that is a good doable day trip. That said, Victor Harbour probably deserves a day trip all on its own without the extra driving required to go to Cape Jervis.

Wallaroo is also very nice, but not sure I would do that in a day trip either. Deserves an overnight stay.

Edited: 2:36 am, October 18, 2013
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mount Gambier vs Coober Pedy –Opal mines

Thanks mates... much needed advice,

Cheers

6. Re: Mount Gambier vs Coober Pedy –Opal mines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 21, 2014