We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In town on a cruise ship Feb 10th looking to do..

New Jersey
Level Contributor
64 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
In town on a cruise ship Feb 10th looking to do..

something unique to the area. The wildlife park sounds interesting. My wife and I enjoy hiking, biking, beaches etc. We also love to do things that are not too touristy and expensive.

I would love to hear from experts. Thanks in advance

Harry

Feb. 10th is a Sunday and we are docked from 8am-6pm

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,810 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In town on a cruise ship Feb 10th looking to do..

How about a tour of the Adelaide Gaol? We did this a few years ago and it's a interesting place (with very few tourists the day we visited.) . The prison was in operation for over 100 years and only closed about 25 years ago. They have guided historical tours on Sundays, so that would work out great. It's certainly not your run-of-the-mill tourist attraction!

http://www.adelaidegaol.org.au/

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: In town on a cruise ship Feb 10th looking to do..

We have lovely beaches in Adelaide. It's likely to be quite hot when you visit so that may be a good option. I recommend Henley Beach near the jetty for a lovely place to swim with no waves, as well as a variety of beautiful restaurants in Henley square, right next to the beach. If you like Greek food, Estia is lovely but there's many other options.

Semaphore beach is also nice and there are many shops down Semaphore rd where you can go for a stroll, as well as a cinema if the weather is stifling hot.

Cleland wildlife park is also a great place to visit but it's a bit of a drive from your cruise port.

I've also done the Adelaide gaol tour and it's pretty good. Worth doing.

If you like wine you can do a tour of Magill Estate in the city, including a taste of the famous Grange (for extra money).

New Jersey
Level Contributor
64 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In town on a cruise ship Feb 10th looking to do..

Thank you very much for the replies.

The Gaol tour is a great possibility especially with the guided tour.

Curly: I have several questions about the beaches.

Is there any charge to get on beach?

Are the beaches close to cruise port or do I need to take a cab?

Is there snorkeling at the beaches?

Do you think I need a wetsuit for stingers?

This is our first time in your country,and to be honest we are a little nervous but very excited!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In town on a cruise ship Feb 10th looking to do..

Hi,

there is no charge for any beaches in Adelaide, or anywhere else in Australia.

Semaphore beach is a 10 or 15 minute drive from Outer Harbour (where I assume your cruise will stop). Henley beach is about 25 minutes drive. So yes, a taxi would probably be best.

I don't think that Outer Harbour itself would be great for the beach.

None of the suburban Adelaide beaches have much in the way of snorkelling opportunities. They're all quite shallow and calm beaches as Adelaide is located in a gulf, so is not exposed to the open ocean. If you'd like snorkelling you'd need to go an hour or so further south to Port Noarlunga I think.

You could snorkel around one of the jettys (piers), which both of these beaches have, but I'm not sure there'd be much to see and you might be dodging the lines of fishermen.

You don't need to worry about stingers in Adelaide. We're too far south to have problems with them.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you'd like any other info.

I'm sure you'll have a lovely time here in Oz,

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,573 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: In town on a cruise ship Feb 10th looking to do..

I disagree that Outer harbor is not great for a beach.. Tucked away within a five minute walk from the ship itself is North Haven Beach.. you will see it as you enter the Port Adelaide channel. A Small beach on your starboard side. A little futher down and only a short Taxi ride away is Semaphore and Semaphore Road. A suburban commercial street where you can mix with the locals. Further afield you could extend to jumping on the train then joining the tram to Glenelg for the day ... more "touristy" and the city itself will be open for shopping. If you want to go bush (ie Cleland etc) you will need to either hire a car (or a chauffeur car) for the day and this could push the budget out.

If you like to Kayak you might enjoy stretching the arms a bit at Garden Island where you could hire a kayak and take a look around the Mangroves and the dolphin sanctuary. I was there the other day and we had nine dolphins all around us.

Can you give us an idea of budget? ie the maximum you would spend on your day trip? That would help us work out some viable options, no use if we suggest things like a day trip to the Barossa if you only wish to spend $100 AUD or so...

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In town on a cruise ship Feb 10th looking to do..

Spend the day at the beach

wouldnt waste your time or money on the wildlife park - not that great...

Glenelg is lovely

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,656 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In town on a cruise ship Feb 10th looking to do..

And which wildlife park would that be Sam???

If you mean Cleland - then I have taken a number of o/seas visitors there and they have been gobsmacked.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
64 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In town on a cruise ship Feb 10th looking to do..

Actually our budget is flexible-but not limitless. The beaches sound good along with some sightseeing in Semaphore.

When you say" hire a car "do you mean rent a car for the day and drive myself? My wife thinks I should not attempt it(I disagree). Maybe she will change her mind when we are down there for a while.

Thanks

again for your help.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,656 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In town on a cruise ship Feb 10th looking to do..

I think Semaphore is really interesting. And there are some wonderful cafes on Semaphore Road too.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,062 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: In town on a cruise ship Feb 10th looking to do..

You will be landing on Kaurna land, and you can experience the Kaurna peoples history at Tandanya South Australian Indigenous peoples museum, as well as the natural history museum on North Terrace

www.southaustralia.com