We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adelaide CBD or Glenelg?....and somewhere warm???

Which Adelaide hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wollongong...
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Adelaide CBD or Glenelg?....and somewhere warm???

I'm planning a 4 day weekend away and Adelaide has popped into mind, can any of you travel savvy out there recommend whether to stay in the CBD or out at Glenelg....looking for some relaxation along with shopping and general sights etc also would a day trip out to the barossa be achievable? On the other hand would also like somewhere a little warmer and more tropical in oz...does anyone have a nice place to recommend???

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adelaide CBD or Glenelg?....and somewhere warm???

I'd stay in the city,,best base for shopping and you should see the central market while you are here. Yes a day trip to the Barossa would be perfect if you are a wine lover. Other places are day trips to the Fleurieu Peninsula and a lovely wander through the Adelaide Hills. If you can tell us the type of things you like we can certainly suggest the best options for you.

Examples: Curio/Antique hunting in Strathalbyn, Art galleries and homewares on the Fleurieu and Adelaide Hills, Art classes, Blend your own wine tours, Cooking Classes... There are historic/cultural tours here in the city and just a wander along the north terrace would take up the best part of a day easily.. (art gallery,, museum, botanic gardens etc) There are lovely walks at Waterfall Gully and Morialta... plenty to do really, depending one's taste and physical ability.

If you are passionate about food and wine there are some great experiences out there along those lines as well. Reply if you'd like more information

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adelaide CBD or Glenelg?....and somewhere warm???

Thanks heaps TW_Yachtgal, I really appreciate your time in responding! I'm a food lover more so than wine and thought the barossa might be a jewel of an area for all things gourmet...but it sounds as though you could suggest other areas? My thought was to travel early November and wanted to take advantage of the sea, hence the thought to stay at Glenelg, but we don't want to get too bored! Could you suggest hotels at all? CBD or Glenelg...I'd like something at minimum 4 star (treating myself...but not too steep). Thanking you once again :)

adelaide
Level Contributor
125 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Adelaide CBD or Glenelg?....and somewhere warm???

Hi

I agree with yacht gal, I suggest the medina treasury building on the corner of king William st and flinders st, close to the markets, shops and trams to glenelg. It has character and lovely large rooms and good price

Hope that helps

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adelaide CBD or Glenelg?....and somewhere warm???

Another vote for the Medina Treasury building or depending on your budget we recently stayed at The hilton in a suite which was excellent.

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adelaide CBD or Glenelg?....and somewhere warm???

You are correct, the Barossa Is great for Food and Wine but if you have a car there are some wonderful places to discover within the Adelaide suburbs.

If you stay central you have some options, even without a car. Glenelg is a nice day trip, certainly the central markets is a MUST and both the Adelaide Hills (particularly Hahndorf) and the Barossa are foodie meccas.

Let us know your transportation limitations and we can suggest places to visit which might appeal to you whilst you are here.

re Accomodation as said above the Hilton, Media Treasury and even the Rendezvous Allegra in Waymouth Street are only a block or two from the market and tram to glenelg. They are also only blocks from the main shopping and cultural precincts so I would stay central, particularly if you also love to wander galleries, museums and gardens (North Terrace)

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Adelaide CBD or Glenelg?....and somewhere warm???

So much help thank you again yachgal, ellemay and eastyge! I will check all that info out, I don't think we'll hire a car just use organised transport....and see where that might take us. :)

Victor Harbor...
Level Contributor
123 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Adelaide CBD or Glenelg?....and somewhere warm???

Hey Gigglypuff, If you are coming in November to Adelaide I would recommend a festival that is on, it is great homegrown entertainment... with artists and performers..

http://www.feast.org.au/

All of the other ideas such as Botanic Gardens, Art Gallery are great suggestions and not of any cost, and the Adelaide Zoo is also affordable if you are travelling with children. Glenelg is definitely a great day visit, just catch the tram from Adelaide CBD, great dining, shopping and beaches here.

I also give the thumbs up to the Medina Treasury building accommodation, close to everything on foot in the Adelaide CBD.

Edited: 8:59 am, September 01, 2012
8. Re: Adelaide CBD or Glenelg?....and somewhere warm???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, December 16, 2013