We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 Nights in the Barossa?

Western Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
4 Nights in the Barossa?

I posted back in November asking for advice regarding a 6 night trip to SA to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary in April, I received some great advice and am now in the process of finalising our itinerary.

We arrive in Adelaide on 1/4 and are spending our first night at the Intercontinental. Suggestions of somewhere to have a good asian meal on the Sunday evening would be appreciated and if there is anywhere particular where we could listen to some live music.

Planning to pick up hire car on the Monday and head to the Barossa for four nights staying at Seppelts Cottage, do you think four nights here is too long. We are very interested in wine, good food, galleries, nature and from the research I have done there seems to be plenty to do in the area but would appreciate locals opinion.

For our anniversary dinner was planning on booking Appellation but have read mixed reviews and would appreciate any suggestions on other options or hearing from anyone who has dined there recently.

Thanks again for your advice, really looking forward to our trip!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
290 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 Nights in the Barossa?

Wow 4 nights will be amazing especially at Seppeltsfield Cottages which just won another award. Most people probably only stay 2 or 3 nights in the Barossa but there is plenty to do in 4 days. your only regret is that you dont have 2 days in a detox booked for after......oh the food and wine!

I love Appelation so I say go for it. I know Peter or Sharyn from the cottages will drive you there and pick you up so it means you can drink and be merry.

So here are some suggestions to fill your days:

Dinner- Vintners, 1918 or for something more casual Roaring 40's. They do the best pizza in Barossa, dont bother going anywhere else!

Lunch - there is so much choice, my favourite is Lou Mirandas, also Jacobs Creek Visitors Centre has excellent food and is in a beautiful spot. You should go there anyway just for the location. Pindarie for the best view, Peter Lehman for a laid back platter with beautiful Barossa produce on the lawns with a cold white wine (one pf my favourite ways to kill an arvo in the Barossa).

Cafes - Keils in Tanunda or Blonde up in Angaston. Both are great for lunch as well as coffee.

Other activities to fill your days (other than the obvious wine tastings) are walking in Kaiser Stuhl National Park, make your own blend of wine at Penfolds, Angus Park, walking or cycling track from Nuri to Angaston, Maggie Beer farm shop has cooking demonstrations, Farmers Market if you are there on a Saturday. If you miss the market just go to the deli section of Nuri or Tanunda foodlands and you will find the Barossa produce there. Drive up to Menglers Hill for the view, go to Seppeltsfield for a tour.

Keep in mind that the Barossa is busy in April so have Sharyn book your dinner restaurants just in case. Mid week it is probably not too bad. Sharyn and Peter are amazing and will help you with anything you need.

Have an amazing time. The great thing about 4 days is you will really be able to enjoy your beautiful cottage and not have to rush around.

Shiki is the Japanese restaurant in the Intercontinental and excellent. I am out of touch for the rest of the cbd for asian.

Mentioned in this post
Adelaide Farmers' Market
Adelaide Farmers' Market
58 Reviews
Adelaide, Australia
Shiki
Shiki
294 Reviews
Adelaide, Australia
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 Nights in the Barossa?

Asian in the CBD for me Nu Thai on Gouger Street wins every time but you are advised to book. It looks quite quaint but the food is awesome and for me its all about the food.

Great advice above on wineries I wont add to the confusion.

Mentioned in this post
Nu Thai
Nu Thai
237 Reviews
Adelaide, Australia
Western Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 Nights in the Barossa?

Thank you so much for your replies. The attraction of staying in the Barossa for the four nights apart from the obvious food and wine experience was so that we could spend at least some of the time just relaxing so decision made, four nights at Seppelts Cottage, anniversary dinner at Appelation.

Will definitely hire bikes and do lots of walking, will need to to avoid paying excess baggage on the way home!

Nu Thai sounds perfect for dinner thanks for the suggestion.

Mentioned in this post
Nu Thai
Nu Thai
237 Reviews
Adelaide, Australia
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 Nights in the Barossa?

Jasmin restaurant for Indian (Hindmarsh Square) and also Cafe Kowloon on Gouger St. There are many great Asian restaurants in Gouger St around china town which is easily accessed by the Tram from outside the Intercontinental.

Must do wineries in the Barossa include: Rockfords (especially the Basket Press Shiraz) definately agree with Lou Miranda Winery and also Saltrams (near Angaston).

Happy 25th Anniversary BTW :)

Edited: 5:05 am, March 05, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Cafe Kowloon
Cafe Kowloon
26 Reviews
Adelaide, Australia
Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 Nights in the Barossa?

Perhaps you can do a day trip to the Clare Valley if you're staying for four nights? Very picturesque and some fantastic wineries especially of you are a fan of reisling.

Western Australia
Level Contributor
122 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 Nights in the Barossa?

Thank you to everyone for all the great suggestions on how to spend our days in the Barossa. 4 nights was perfect, our accommodation was wonderful and everywhere we went people were incredibly helpful and friendly. It was certainly a fabulous place to celebrate our anniversary.

Thanks again.

Lisa

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,661 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 Nights in the Barossa?

yes definately do Rockfords if you are a wine buff. Have a chat to the owner if he is around. So much information and he is really interesting.

Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,637 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 Nights in the Barossa?

Glad to hear Jaz09 It would be wonderful if you could post a review of Seppeltsfield Cottage and anything else you loved whilst you were in our wonderful Barossa. Love to know more !

9. Re: 4 Nights in the Barossa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:35 am, June 13, 2013