We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying to Adelaide and with newborn

Which Adelaide hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
136 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Flying to Adelaide and with newborn

Dear all,

Am flying to Adelaide for first time w a newbornin March hence wondering if you can share the following :

1) must i bring bb milk powder in the original tin or can i bring it in smaaler containers. without details of milk content?

2) can i bring warm water flask thru immigrations so i can make milk for bb?

3) any other things i musttake note of in adelaide or At airport for newborn? eg. immigration etc?

/4) are there intersting small suburbs that i should visit in Adelaide by tram, rail or bus? if so, which, where, and how long does it take since i am not driving?

5) am also keen in mountains, marmets, festivals or cultural stuff - any recommendations for March?

Any advices welcomed, Thanks!

Singapore
Level Contributor
136 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying to Adelaide and with newborn

Dear all,

just to add, with reference to item 1) above, i meant if the customs at airport requires me to show original milk powder tins on declaration? or can i just carry it without original tin? will customs allow me to pass through?

just wondering why Hotel occupancy is higher in Mar? Any events or festivals that we should check out?

read fr forum that breakfast at ETC is good, where is it? how to get there if i am staying around Rndle mall?

will be reaching early morning with baby, just wondering if there is good accomodation that allows half day booking? i.e. i will book half day for early checkin and stay for another night? if so, where is a good place to stay?

Thanks a lot!

Edited: 1:55 pm, February 09, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,803 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying to Adelaide and with newborn

baby milk will need to be in its original packaging, usually unopened.

Lots of events in Adelaide in march. Check out the Adelaide city website for details.

technically baby stuff is allowed but then it is in the arms of the security guys at your departure airport. At worst they will make you throw it out.

Broadford, Australia
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying to Adelaide and with newborn

The new born must have its own passport.

I know Womadelaide is on in March and the V8 supercars.

If you have an empty flask in your baggage, the air hostesses on the plane might fill it will boiled water for you. It is taking liquids onto international flights that is the problem. Travellers Aid centres might help with hot water. Breast feeding would be a whole lot easier for all concerned.

If I was a quarantine officer faced with small bags of white powder from overseas, I'd probably give them more than a cursory glance!

I'd ask my hotel if they have an early check-in otherwise pay for the extra day's accommodation. I should think you and your baby (not sure how young your newborn will be to me newborn means less than 6 weeks of age) will both need a good rest.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,425 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying to Adelaide and with newborn

Unless your baby is on a special (medically prescribed) formula, I'd save yourself the bother and buy it here - there are plenty of brands available in both supermarkets and chemists.

I would also advise to make sure you have a bottle ready to give you bubby on take-off and landing - sucking & swallowing helps equalise the pressure in their ears - which for tiny babies can be very painful.

helen

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
243 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying to Adelaide and with newborn

March is Adelaide's busiest month.

There's the fringe festival http://www.adelaidefringe.com.au/ which runs from 24th feb - 18th March. The clipsal 500 is a car race which is run in the city from the 1-4March, by the sounds of it not something you'll be interested in but the fringe would probably be. The fringe venues are all over the city. WOMAD is on 9th-12th March and is a world music festival in botanic park in Adelaide itself.

The city of Adelaide is lovely and would be a good place to stay, however I'm not sure of any hotels that book a half day, especially at this time of year. If you stay in Adelaide it would be worth catching the tram down to Glenelg which is a pretty seaside spot. It has some nice restaurants and lots of small shops.

No holiday to Adelaide is complete without going to the Central Markets, friday night or saturday mornings are the best times to go. You can buy lots of fresh produce and gourmet items, much of which is locally produced. It is a good spot to have breakfast too. ETC is a fabulous breakfast place, also good for lunch. Its on East terrace in Adelaide (ETC stands for East Terrace Continental). Other good eating spots can be found on Rundle St (eg Scoozi, Spices) and just off Rundle St on Frome Road is Amalfi. Gouger st also has a lot of fantastic restaurants as well as the Central Market which includes a small china town. O'Connell St in North Adelaide is another st with lots of restaurants.

In Adelaide you could go for a stroll along Rundle st and Rundle mall as well as the along the Torrens river. On North Terrace there are lots of Adelaide's older buildings including the art gallery and museum.

If you are able to book a bus tour it may be worth going to Harndorf (1/2 hr from Adelaide) or The Barossa valley (1-2 hr from Adelaide).

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
243 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying to Adelaide and with newborn

Directions from Rundle Mall to ETC: Walk East down Rundle Mall then along Rundle St until you get to East Terrace (this is where the shops end and parklands begin) turn left and not far is ETC.

It is about a 10-15minute walk.

In the parklands opposite ETC is the site of some of the fringe events. If you walk past ETC and continue to North Terrace you will see the gate to the to the botanic gardens opposite.

I've also had a good breakfast at Brunelli's which is between pulteney st and frome rd on Rundle st, only a few minutes from Rundle Mall.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,451 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying to Adelaide and with newborn

If you want to stay in ADL in March you MUST have accomodation already booked. No good any of us recommending anywhere. Anywhere good that is reasonably priced will have been booked out months ago.

Not only is there the Fringe, Womadalaide and a car race , there is also the Adelaide Cup horse race and the actual Adelaide Festival of Arts as well during March.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,178 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying to Adelaide and with newborn

This is advice from Changi Airport

<<WHAT ARE THE EXEMPTIONS FOR BABY FOOD IN LIQUID, AEROSOL AND GEL FORM?

Baby foods in liquid, aerosol and gel form, such as milk, juice and porridge, will be exempted from the restrictions, if there is a baby travelling with the adult passenger. Such items should be taken in quantities that are sufficient for the flight.

If the baby food is in containers with a maximum capacity of not more than 100ml, passengers are encouraged to place these containers in the 1-litre transparent re-sealable plastic bag. If this is not possible or if the baby food is in containers larger than 100ml, the baby food will be subjected to further checks at the security screening point. The baby must also be present at the security screening point. Passengers may also be asked to taste the baby food.>>

There is no reason not to pack more formula in your checked luggage but we have the popular brands here.

Singapore
Level Contributor
136 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying to Adelaide and with newborn

Thanks al for your replies and recommendations!

am considering Handolf as will check out the festivals! WOMAD would be great but not when i hv a young bb along...

opps.. looks like i really gotta book my accom real real soon! Around Rundle mall seems like a good idea!

hmmm... may e i should justbring half a tin of milk powder and get more of the enfalac a+ when i am there!

Singapore
Level Contributor
136 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying to Adelaide and with newborn

dear all,

am thinking of taking a train or bus or tram out to the suburbs or towns out of CBD, any recommendations other than handolf which i will be checking out? we dont drink much so wineries are not our top priorities though mountains would be nice!

how is mount lofty? (since i read that it is a mountainous area) worth a trip? if so, how do i get there?

how do i get fr Adelaide CBD to Handolf? Any other towns to recommend?