We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Migrating to Australia

Which Adelaide hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
United Kingdom
4 posts
Save Topic
Migrating to Australia

My wife and I are half-way through our application to migrate. I have just been skills assessed by the TRA as a Flat Glass Tradeperson. We hope to be in Adelaide by the end of 2006 and would be grateful for any information anyone could give us re. Adelaide schools, housing, suburbs to settle, family communities etc. We are desperate to get away from our London suburb hustle/bustle, graffiti strewn area etc. We want somewhere quiet, easy access to jobs, schools and good quality family life. Please can anyone provide info. re. jobs in the Glass Industry for my skills - I have 23 years experience in the trade. We hear conflicting stories in the UK that SA are doing a recruitment drive and require certain skills on the Skills Occupation List (of which mine is) and then struggle to find jobs on the websites issued by our agents. Please can anyone curb our fears that once we are in SA, we will struggle to find a job. Our kids are aged 8 and 16 years and having never been to Australia are feeling anxious but excited at the same time. It is a big step for any family.

sydney,aust.
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Migrating to Australia

I am not going to speculate on the job front but....

aldinga is a delightful beachside place just to the south of adelaide with the maclaren vale wine growing area in the hinterland.Great sunsets over the gulf.

My brother lives at port noarlunga and my niece goes to a good school in the countryside called tatachilla.imho it is a great place to live.You won't miss new cross at all.

There is quite a rate of housing development to the south of adelaide and so someone must be putting windows in those new houses.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
495 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Migrating to Australia

I am always hesitant to recommend areas of Adelaide for peoople to settle without them coming here and seeing them first.

Adelaide is a city spread over a large area, but without the density of an UK city. Are you looking to live near the city, in the hills, at the beach? Do you want to live near good schools and travel to work? The public transport system is not good, but is best in the northern suburbs and the near city suburbs, but is worse down south and in the southern vales around Aldinga. Most people use their own cars. I would plan on coming and renting for a while to look around before you decide where to settle.

We have had several large industries close down in recent times, but these are mainly to do with manufacturing. I have no idea how job availability is in your trade area. There seems to be a great demand for nurses and allied health professionals of all sorts.

Have a look at this site. www.sacentral.com.au/site/page.cfm…

It is the SA govt site listing job agencies of all sorts

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,301 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Migrating to Australia

I agree with scliffy. Rent first and have a look around and not sure about the employment situation either. We do currently have very low unemployment here and we are desperately seeking tradesmen. Can you get guarantee of a job before you come?

And I think it best if you take notice of local information rather than interstate holiday visitors. While the beach at Aldinga is gorgeous and the country around is lovely it is very far from the city and public transport is woeful and there are certainly areas down there that I would not want to live in with lots of social problems etc. and some of the housing (including new estates) is far from fabulous.

United Kingdom
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Migrating to Australia

Thanks to you all for your very prompt replies. I will take into account all the information you have given me and if I have any questions, I certainly know where to come for great advice.

Thanks very much again and Happy New Year.