We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from Adelaide to Melbourne

Mount Vernon...
Level Contributor
344 posts
177 reviews
Save Topic
train from Adelaide to Melbourne

Should we take a train or drive from Adelaide to Melbourne? Would we miss much if we took the train? Thanks. Pam

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Narooma, Australia
Level Contributor
977 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train from Adelaide to Melbourne

If you're happy to drive and have the time, drive to Melbourne along the coast via the Great Ocean Road. Unless it's pouring with rain, you won't be disappointed.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Destination Expert
for Adelaide, South Australia, Kangaroo Island
Level Contributor
3,637 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train from Adelaide to Melbourne

Agree... if you have time, drive and stop at Coonawarra, Blue Lake Mt Gambier, Nelson, Great Ocean Road and enter Melb via the lovely coastal towns of Lorne etc. Unsure what else you are doing on your trip but if you aren't doing a lot of driving parts of this road trip are very interesting.

Hard to advise further without knowing more but I'd take a couple of days and drive if I wanted to "see" australia and was flying most legs

Mount Vernon...
Level Contributor
344 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train from Adelaide to Melbourne

Should have mentioned we spent 4 days on the Great Ocean Road 7 years ago and loved it. We were looking for a different experience, but if the GOR can't be beat, we go for it again. My husband has been hoping for a train trip somewhere, and I was looking for the shortest one.............. Thanks.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train from Adelaide to Melbourne

The GOR is in a far greater league than the train from Adelaide to Melbourne, as lovely as it is to come through the Adelaide Hills by rail.

I can definitely help you with some train journeys though if you can let me know more about where you will be and time frames etc

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Adelaide Hills
Adelaide Hills
Greater Adelaide, Australia
East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train from Adelaide to Melbourne

Perhaps do a more northerly route to Melbourne via Bordertown, Nhill, Grampians, Ballarat. North of Dimboola is an old Mission, Ebeneza, which is interesting history, and Rainbow has murals.

Always seems to be 'special' train trips on for rail enthousiasts. Some steam.

Think of all the wineries you miss out on if railing it from Adelaide.

Have you been on the Port Augusta - Quorn steam rail?

We enjoy riding the rails while o/seas, just for the heck and to check them out. And sometimes to get wherever we are going.

There are quite a few suburban tracks you could do and a few country lines

www.vicrail.com.au

Anyway B says he has some ideas. If I find out anything next week I'll let you know.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train from Adelaide to Melbourne

"Always seems to be 'special' train trips on for rail enthousiasts. Some steam"

I think this is a common misperception of non rail enthusiasts GB =)

Mount Vernon...
Level Contributor
344 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train from Adelaide to Melbourne

Thanks for your help. We'll be in Australia for a total of 5 weeks and will be in the last week when we get to Melbourne (1st part of March). Will probably do the drive from Adelaide so we can hit some wineries and see more country side. How long of a drive would this be? Which town would you recommend for a stopover? Appreciate all your help. Pam

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
13,298 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train from Adelaide to Melbourne

If you want to do wineries along the way I would take 2 days. For a stopover try the Dunkeld Hotel near the Grampians.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,216 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: train from Adelaide to Melbourne

When I was in Echuca a year ago the locals mentioned train trips were about to start up again between Melbourne and Echuca. Does anyone know if that has commenced yet ?

If so Pam I can heartily recommend it as the time in Echuca can be spent exploring the historical precinct and taking a ride on a paddle steamer before returning to Melbourne on the same day. Or stay overnight in the historical SteamPacket Inn and travel back the next day.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: train from Adelaide to Melbourne

"train trips were about to start up again between Melbourne and Echuca"

there are two direct trains a day from Melbourne to Echuca :) takes about 3.5hrs

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia