We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best restaurant Adelaide?

Which Adelaide hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
J&M
Australia
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best restaurant Adelaide?

Hi,

We will be visitng Adelaide in Sept and would appreciate recommendations for a restaurant for a special occassion. We are after an exclusive restaurant with fantastic service and atmosphere. Cost is not an issue. A good wine list would be a bonus!

Thanks.

South Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Best restaurant Adelaide?

Wow, a difficult request. What kind of food and what kind of atmosphere? There's any number of restaurants which would fit the bill depending on your taste. Just as well you said cost doesn't matter. Try The Grange at the Hilton Hotel in the city centre. The name might give you a clue. Or Chloe's at Kent Town (inner suburban). Or Windy Point at Belair, has both a la carte and bistro one above the other, with magnificent views of the city lights at night.

Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best restaurant Adelaide?

I definitely agree that the Grange is a good option.

Cheong Liew was listed a few years ago as one of the most exciting 10 chefs alive (or something to that effect) and is often cited as a 'culinary genius'.

The restaurant is fine dining with lovely big 'armchair' like chairs and professional service. There is also a degustation option (7 or 9 courses) and there is a wine matching to go with it. Alternatively, the wine list is really good - yes Grange is available but also a really good selection of other Australians, italians, french and champagne with prices not too bad for a fine dining restaurant.

Only caveat that this is not a 'fillet mignon' kind of restaurant - don't know where you're from but think along the lines of Tetsuya perhaps, - its quite eclectic, I would say its like asian fusion but I don't want to influence you into thinking its merely asian.

Only slight down is that sometimes the noise from the lobby can be intrusive.

Alternatively:

Magill Estate is Penfolds Flagship restaurant at Magill. A bit out of the city but a beautiful restaurant with great views and really good service. (Former Grange sommelier is now here)

They have recently appointed a new chef - so don't know what his food is like. I think his food has a classical french influence to it. You can find a PDF of the menu on line. (search magill estate restuarant) Only downside to this restaurant is that you are pretty much constrained to Penfolds wines. Also, I think the menu is a bit more conservative compared to the Grange.

Another option is Bridgewater Mill - the food is always impeccable here and again, its a nice atmosphere albeit in the Adelaide Hills. Major problem here is that they generally only do lunch - but its one of those great long lazy lunches with professional service and nice added extras - eg, fantastic hand made petit fours with coffee.

You can see the menu on line too:

www.bridgewatermill.com.au

Lately there has been a bit of an upheaval in the Adelaide fine dining scene - a lot of places have changed hands or closed.

One place which has changed hands but has always been famous for its great food and intimate and romantic setting is the Melting Pot at Hyde Park. You can get their menu on line too:

www.meltingpot.com.au

Haven't been there since the changed hands but they used to be fantastic.

Wherever you go - hope its fantastic and makes your occassion memorable.

South Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best restaurant Adelaide?

Thanks B.Com for coming to my rescue. You've given some excellent guidance. I am not a regular restaurant 'goer' and it's been many years since I sampled the delights of those I named. I only belatedly thought of the Bridgewater Mill (Petaluma Wines) so I'm pleased you included it in your reply. J & M would do well to have their special occasion at The Grange if it's an evening affair, then sample the Bridgewater Mill during a daytrip in the Hills.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
121 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best restaurant Adelaide?

Hi J&M

Some newish favourites we have added to our list are Auge (Grote St in the City), Urban (5 minutes from the city) and Citrus (Hutt St in the City).

The Grange is fantastic, pricy and, as another writer advised, not a Fillet Mignon type of restaurant.

Bridgewater Mill is excellent - but I would visit it for a lunch instead of dinner (about 25 minutes out of city).

Chianti (Hutt St) is an excellent Italian restaurant. Alphutte is an excellent Swiss restaurant (not open on weekends).

Sorry to confuse you!

Kate

Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best restaurant Adelaide?

Amalfi, Frome St, Adelaide - excellent authentic Italian cuisine. Great service, great wine, and fantastic food. Its a small restaurant with a traditional italian feel..